Author Topic: Liverpool Orphanage 1917 - 1930's for a child from the Bootle area?  (Read 6248 times)

Offline pauline5556555

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Liverpool Orphanage 1917 - 1930's for a child from the Bootle area?
« on: Friday 10 October 14 13:54 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I was wondering if someone could help me.  I have two children in my family tree whose Mother died in 1921 in the West Derby district of Liverpool.  Her name was a LETITIA QUICK ( nee KIRBY )  She married their father in 1917 his name was a THOMAS ELLIS QUICK.  Their father was a merchant seaman who was away for long periods.

The children were JOHN QUICK who was born in 1918 and a THOMAS QUICK was born in 1920

I have no family stories in who may have looked after these children.  So would they have been placed in an orphanage / workhouse??

They both lived to serve in either the army or the territorial army?  I have a picture of one of these children in some uniform ( at this time not sure what?? )

I have posted here on this website enquiring about this family before, but I only found out to-day that there may be a possible death for LETITIA QUICK in the Sep quarter of 1921 in West Derby.

I am going to obtain this certificate in the next couple of weeks, to see who registered the death and were she was living when she died.

How would I find out if these children were placed in an orphanage?

Any help or advice would be welcome.

Kind regards,
Pauline. :)

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Liverpool Orphanage 1917 - 1930's for a child from the Bootle area?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 October 14 14:02 BST (UK) »
On the burial record at Ford cemetery the address given is 107 Rice Lane, which was the union workhouse.  ( I was hoping to find something more helpful)
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline miriamkinga

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Kingston Goater 1853-1920
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 October 14 14:06 BST (UK) »
Pauline would it be possible to upload the uniform photo? It we can identify which regiment there might be military records which sometimes give next of kin and other information.
GOATER, LAN, ALL
BOURKE, MAYO/ LAN
LONERGAN, TIP
McGREAL, MAYO
FLAHERTY, GALWAY/ ALL
HOUGH, LAN/ ALL

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 October 14 14:14 BST (UK) »
The mother may have died in the hospital at Rice Lane so there may be a home address on the death certificate. Also Bootle was in West Derby registration area.

Blue

Offline pauline5556555

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 October 14 15:52 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Thank you to all for replying so quickly, I appreciate it.

A couple of questions were is the Ford Cemetery is it in the Bootle / Litherland area?

Would there be any records for the Union Workhouse?

Because the father of the two boys was a merchant seaman, would they be placed in a home for men who worked at sea?

Me being a bit dim  ???  How do I upload a photograph to this web site?

Your advice and thoughts would be very welcome.

Kind regards,
Pauline.

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 10 October 14 18:01 BST (UK) »
Ford is a Roman Catholic cemetery in Litherland, north of Liverpool. Most Catholics from the Liverpool area were buried at Ford. The fact that the mother appears to have died at Rice Lane but been buried at Ford indicates to me that she wasn't there out of poverty but out of poor health. Somebody paid for a Catholic burial so she was unlikely to have been a pauper. If she had died a pauper at Rice Lane she would have been given a pauper burial at Walton Park the Liverpool parish cemetery. Rice Lane was a Workhouse but it also had medical facilities and was later Walton Hospital. Unfortunately admission records haven't survived for the institution at Rice Lane. For information purposes here is some links for threads where this family has been discussed before:- 

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,273532

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=279107.0

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=681461.0

http://www.bootlehistory.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=24900&sid=6aef83743b28814181127bac37fc896a

Also the 1917 original marriage image is on Ancestry perhaps you already have this record. There's a merchant seaman card for Thomas Ellis Quick on Find My Past you might have this already too.

Blue

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile

Offline pauline5556555

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 10 October 14 19:49 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Thank you for your help, it is really is very kind of you to go to so much trouble.

The previous mentions in the Rootschat - are all mine.

But this information that I have been given to-day is just amazing.

I will let you know what I find from the death certificate.

Kind regards,
Pauline.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 11 October 14 08:05 BST (UK) »
if the father was at sea the 2 boys may have been placed in Fazakerley Cottage Homes until the father returned - you can contact them on this link ...

http://www.childrenscottagehomes.org.uk/fazakerley.html
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford