Author Topic: 1881 census - missing address - Salford  (Read 804 times)

Offline mcnulty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
1881 census - missing address - Salford
« on: Friday 01 July 05 10:44 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Can anyone find the following address in the 1881 census - my ggrandmother was born there in 1885 and I can find neighbouring houses:

34 Cambridge Street, Broughton (Salford).

It is in the area with Sussex street, Elton street and still exists today, although in a very modified format!!

Thanks,
Ian
McNulty, Cassidy, Entwistle, Robinson, Johnson, Caunce, Crawford, Lindsay, Webster, Anderton

Offline woodydog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: 1881 census - missing address - Salford
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 July 05 17:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Ian - I've searched all the Broughton area discs & can only say that the enumerator must have been on the grog with the route he took!! Ther is 18-32 Cambridge street that leads onto Clarence street then way ,way further on it goes to 27- further on still there are two unnumbered houses so it's difficult to tell whether they would fit in as odd or even numbers.
In one house the Heron family is living & the other has the Crouch family with an Elizah Peel does this fit in at all ?
If not it might be worth putting your grandmothers details (even tho' she wasn't born then) onto your posting to see if we can find the family living in the area at all.
Sorry can't help more right now
Rose
Pratt- Catterick/Richmond N.Yorks & Wilsden/Halifax West Yorks
Maylor- Preston/ Poulton Le Fylde
Whitaker- Halifax
Dixon- London & Yorkshire
Booth-Middleton,Oldham,Royton,Lancs
Boyling-Oldham,Royton & Shropshire
Harris- Bradford, Prestwich Manchester
SMITH!! Kirkcaldy, Manchester
Sturgess-  Preston Candover, Hampshire & London
Nixon- London
Walters- London & Hampshire
Settle - Halifax & Brighouse
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mcnulty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 July 05 20:33 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Thanks for the search. The names I am looking for are either Richard Crawford or Emily (Emmeline) Lindsay. I know a Richard Crawford was lodging in 28, Beech St., Broughton but I was hoping there was another one.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ian
McNulty, Cassidy, Entwistle, Robinson, Johnson, Caunce, Crawford, Lindsay, Webster, Anderton

Offline woodydog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 02 July 05 07:02 BST (UK) »
Mmmm! Can you give me any ideas on how old either of them might be - I persume these are your great grandmothers parents & you're trying to find them before they married? Do you have the details from the 1891 census which you could post? There are a handful of Emily Lindsays on the census in Lancashire the most notable (& more than likely not yours, seeing as how they lived in a terrace in Broughton later on!) was Emily Flor. Crawford (Lindsay)-written exactly as listed- age 33 Born London,Middlesex occupation PEERESS!!!!!! Oh how nice that would be!
Either list any further information you have here or send me a personal message & I'll get digging some more as I have all the discs here.
Rose
Pratt- Catterick/Richmond N.Yorks & Wilsden/Halifax West Yorks
Maylor- Preston/ Poulton Le Fylde
Whitaker- Halifax
Dixon- London & Yorkshire
Booth-Middleton,Oldham,Royton,Lancs
Boyling-Oldham,Royton & Shropshire
Harris- Bradford, Prestwich Manchester
SMITH!! Kirkcaldy, Manchester
Sturgess-  Preston Candover, Hampshire & London
Nixon- London
Walters- London & Hampshire