Author Topic: Sarah Condie  (Read 1941 times)

Offline crazycaz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sarah Condie
« on: Tuesday 14 October 14 15:46 BST (UK) »
My gt grandmother Sarah Condie lost her husband and child in 1903. In the 1911 census she has moved house from Squires St to Lorton St in Liverpool.  I wonder how people found alternative accommodation in those days, were there classified ads?

She was working as a chocolate packer in 1911 and wondered which manufacturer she may have worked for.  I am bit sure how to research this.  I wonder if she worked from home, but she did have an older person in the house who could look after her son. Her daughter was living elsewhere as a maid of all work.

I know she managed to stay out of the workhouse after her husband died, something to do with signing the pledge and getting some money for doing so.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Condie
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 October 14 16:27 BST (UK) »
I presume she was Sarah Morris and married William in 1894 at St Cleopas , Toxteth ?
 Jessie Condie baptised 10th december 1895
married 8th oct 1921 in St Nathaniels to John Davidson
William John Condie bap 7th sep 1897 at St Peters C of E - born 24th august 1897
William and William John both die in dec qtr 1903
so what was the name of the son she was left to bring up ? and also - Jessie was only 8 when her father and brother died , so Sarah would have had to have someone to look after Jessie whilst Sarah was at work ...was Sarah born in Liverpool ?
were William Condie parents David Condie and Alice White who married in Liverpool 1868 at St Anne..maybe they looked after Jessie ??
ADDED was the son named Harry Condie b 1901 ?
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 October 14 16:42 BST (UK) »
By the way - this is on Cheshire board and should be on the Lancashire board ....a Moderator will move it for you ...
Lorton Street and Squires St were close to each other -Smithdown Lane area  ..
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline crazycaz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 October 14 17:00 BST (UK) »
That is the correct Sarah.  She was born in Birkenhead in 1870. Her youngest son was Henry (known as Harry).
William Condie senior was the son of John Condie, a painter.  The family goes back to Fife in Scotland.
Before her marriage, Sarah's occupation in 1891 census is given as 'confectioner'.  My grandmother said that she worked for Jamieson's before she was married and "they were very good to her" when she was in difficulty, so perhaps that was who she worked.
I have no idea what happened between 1903 and 1911, but she seems to have managed by herself.  This old lady looked after me for 10 years when I was a child.  She died in 1963. She was quite a woman!