Author Topic: John Jones  (Read 4685 times)

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
John Jones
« on: Saturday 18 October 14 11:02 BST (UK) »
Seeking background information on John Jones son of William & Margaret Jones of Gwalchmai, Cerrigydruidion, Anglesey, North Wales.  John Jones was killed 13 Oct 1917 and his name is commemorated on Gwalchmai village war memorial in central Anglesey, with a given age of 16.  Commonwealth War Graves Commission state 17. Soldiers Died in the Great War states he was enlisted at Merthyr Tydfil, and next of kin resident Hengoed, Cardiff (also stated in the London Gazette entry).  I would appreciate help locating the family on the census.

Regards, Roy
anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Jones
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 October 14 16:08 BST (UK) »
Is the place near Gwalchmai you refer to;Cerrigceinwen?

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 October 14 16:36 BST (UK) »
Hello Russell
I'm sorry I am not familiar with the region.  All I can tell you is the Gwalchmai War Memorial gives a home address "Cerrig y Druidion".  Hope this helps
Regards, Roy
anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 October 14 16:56 BST (UK) »
There is a Margaret Jones on the 1901 Census living at Cerreg Dridion(which is the name of the house),Trewalchmai, Anglesey with three sons William born 1889, John born 1900 & Robert born 1901 they were all born Trewalchmai. Margaret was born 1869 Newborough, Anglesey. There is no mention of the father William.
Hope this is the family you are looking for,

Kind Regards,
Ellen

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 18 October 14 17:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Ellen
I believe that is the family; Thanks for the details, very much appreciated
Roy

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 18 October 14 20:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Roy,

This looks like his baptism....

25 June 1899 in the parish of Trewalchmai, John, son of William, labourer, and Margaret, abode Cerrig-y-Drudion.

Deirdre
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline cae howell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 19 October 14 10:42 BST (UK) »
The property you are asking about is situated on the old road from lower Gwalchmai near the old mill the house has been made larger and modernised it can be seen on googlemap
griffiths Anglesey,, thomas Holyhead,,Liverpool

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 19 October 14 15:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Deirdre
Thanks for that. As per usual I'm looking for back ground info but this fellow is proving difficult.  He was awarded the DCM posthumously (gazetted in the London Gazette 17 April 1918 (Hengoed, S.Wales).  Not sure when he came to Wales, enlisted 1917 at Merthyr and his father William Jones resided at 7 Hengoed Crescent, Garden Village, Hengoed, Glam.  Its possible William and son John came in search of work while Margaret and the others remained in North Wales.
Roy

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 19 October 14 15:17 BST (UK) »
Hello Cae
Thanks for the details, seems a nice location.
Roy