Author Topic: Can anyone trace Adelaide Springett?  (Read 76270 times)

Offline hellygreen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone trace Adelaide Springett?
« Reply #45 on: Saturday 01 August 15 10:50 BST (UK) »
Hi 'Uncle John'
I did ask B if he wanted to view the tree on Ancestry that I made during my research for the book.
The offer is still open if you want to view it?
Helen
Green/Wasdall/Tylee/Powell
Hackney and Bethnal Green
Nightingale's of Newport Pond

Offline IONICUS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Saturday 01 August 15 11:34 BST (UK) »
Yes, it's me and yes I'd love to see the family tree.

I have a picture of my mother aged 18 in 1942 and I think there's a resemblance between her and her aunt Adelaide. 

I'd like to put a picture of Adelaide on the wall but I'm not sure if copyright allows it.

I found there's some instances in my life of history repeating itself from my grandfather William John Springett.

Regards  Uncle John

Offline hellygreen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Saturday 01 August 15 12:12 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Off out in a minute but will be in touch later to share the information I have.
I think Horace Warner who took the original photographs owned the original copyright, his family may well now have the rights passed on to them.
If you contact The Gentle Author on Spitalfield Life he may be able to help you with gaining the permission you need.
I have seen a few of the 'Nippers' images used on other websites but am unsure whether this is permitted and I think it's maybe best to check first.
Speak later.
Kind regards
Helen
Green/Wasdall/Tylee/Powell
Hackney and Bethnal Green
Nightingale's of Newport Pond

Offline IONICUS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday 13 October 15 21:12 BST (UK) »
Some more info on this poor family.  The mortality rate was shocking, even for those times.

Adelaides twin sisters Ellen and Margaret were born prematurely on the 15 Mar 1891, in the Raines Street, Workhouse Infirmary, Wapping and died of Atelectasis.  Something to do with the lungs not being fully formed and unable to support life.  I've no idea at what stage of pregnancy this may have been.

Her other sister Susan Eliza died on the 19 Jun 1891, aged 3, in the London Hospital, Whitechapel of Bronchial Pneumonia.

When Adelaide was born into these circumstances in 1893, her prospects will have been bleak indeed.  However, she had her 9 year old brother (my grandfather), to help look after her.  Reminds me of Josh Perrott - Child of the Jago.

Of Margaret's five children only two survived, having lost three in three months.  She herself died suddenly in the Whitechapel Infirmary on the 11 Oct 1907 of Chronic Alcoholism.  The post-mortem described it as 'natural'.

Gawd knows where the 'old man' is in all this.

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday 13 October 15 21:46 BST (UK) »
I'm probably projecting too much, but to me there's a premature worldweariness and sadness in Adelaide's eyes in that photo -- the photo that started this thread off.

I'm guessing her father was probably also down the pub through all this!
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline IONICUS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday 13 October 15 22:00 BST (UK) »
More than likely although I haven't yet found any evidence of this.  If his wife was a 'drinker' she may have picked it up from him, or, they may have both been partial to a glass of two of ale.

They were married on the 11 Aug 1884 and their son (my grandfather) was born 8 Dec 1884. His father was a publican.  Perhaps they met in his pub!

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday 13 October 15 22:08 BST (UK) »
I'm saddened at the childhood that Adelaide, and countless others, had, but I feel quite ridiculously pleased that through this thread we traced her and that she survived :)

I'll bet there's previous few memorials to many of the children who were Adelaide's peers. I'm glad that this thread is, in a way, a memorial to her and maybe to others who were featured.

For completion, here's the link again

http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/gallery/2014/oct/25/spitalfields-nippers-londons-poorest-children-in-the-early-1900s-in-pictures
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline IONICUS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday 13 October 15 22:46 BST (UK) »
I see something approaching fear in that little girls eyes.  Perhaps she was frightened of the photographer, Horace Warner, or afraid of how her day would turn out when her parent(s) got back from the pub, never knowing if she was going to get something to eat or a place to sleep.

The Whitechapel Infirmary was an institution that played a large part in her family's life and she was admitted there on Tuesday 8 Jun 1915, aged 22.  She stayed until 19 Jun 1915, being treated for Erysipelas, an unpleasant skin condition, usually caused by a scratch becoming infected.  No antibiotics in those those days or it would have been take the pills and carry on.  Occupation - Servant.  Her address was in Gun St., Spitalfields.

She survived and had a somewhat normal life from what I've found.  Except for Frank!

Offline IONICUS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Wednesday 14 October 15 11:44 BST (UK) »
Little Adelaide first started school at St Marys, Spital Square.  Her mother put her date of birth back by 3 months to get her in early.  She stayed there for 15 months, leaving on the 27 Jun 96.  An easy form of child minding perhaps or a safe place to leave her while she was out hawking the streets?  That's quite an early age to start school.

Her next stint at school comes after a fifteen month gap, when she attends St Josephs on 11 Oct 97.  Here, her correct date of birth is given as 19 Feb 93, making her 4 years and 7 months old.

The fathers name on the admissions register is shown as John.  It would not be unusual where the father and son have the same name for one of them to be known by his middle name.

The addresses given on both admissions registers are pretty much the same place.  Millers Ct was part of 26 Dorset St. Adelaide lived at number 12, next door to where Jack the Rippers last victim was murdered in 1888.  Apparently the landlord didn't clear the mess up and four years later the new occupants were living with the bloodstains still on the walls and floors.