Author Topic: Elizabeth Ann Lodge - Second pair of eyes needed  (Read 2322 times)

Offline rjb1984

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Elizabeth Ann Lodge - Second pair of eyes needed
« on: Sunday 26 October 14 21:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I'm not sure which section this request would best fall in. Possibly Durham or Yorkshire...

I've been researching part of my family tree and hit a bit of a brick wall.

Elizabeth Ann Lodge. Born 6 Nov 1856 in  Bridge End, Startforth, Yorkshire.

Birth certificate shows mother 'Mary'. 'X'. No father shown.
Baptism record from familysearch - 28 Dec 1856 - Parochial Chaperlry, Barnard-Castle, Durham.

Elizabeth Ann Lodge married John Patterson on 3 Jun 1876 in Startforth, Yorkshire

Now I've worked the family tree back to Elizabeth and John. I am 100% happy that my research is correct. Certificates and evidence all confirm it.

The interesting part is with Elizabeth Ann's parents. I've struggled but come up with this -

1881 census - shows Elizabeth & John. Details of birth for both fit. Also shown on this census is a John Lodge aged 76. Born about 1805 Widower. Born Barnard Castle. Relationship - Grandfather.

I cannot find an Elizabeth Ann Lodge in the 1871 census.

Another family tree on Ancestry pointed me in the direction of the 1861 census for a 'Wilson' family.

Elizabeth Ann Wilson, born Startforth, 1857.
John Wilson, born 1805, Barnard Castle - Father

Following this tree back, it appears that John Wilson/Lodge married Mary Baxter. Her mother, Mary Wilson.

Now I couldn't quite work this one out. Searching for Elizabeth Ann Wilson, born 1857 (+/- 5 years) gave no hits in this area. Could Elizabeth Ann Wilson be Elizabeth Ann Lodge?

Another set of eyes would be appreciated!

Rich

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Ann Lodge - Second pair of eyes needed
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 October 14 22:29 GMT (UK) »
I tihnk someone has drawn incorrect conclusions from 1861 [edit: by which I mean about Elizabeth's parentage]. The address fits by the way - Bridge End

Eliz Ann Wilson is listed as grand daughter. Head is John b Barnard Castle c1805 and wife Mary, with a number of offspring, including a son John who at 14 is too young to be her father. there are a number of unmarried daughters who could be her mother, including a 22 yr old called Mary.

It all looks promising - just not sure how Lodges became Wilsons, and not doing well finding them under either name in 1841.

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 October 14 22:56 GMT (UK) »
There are a collection of baptisms on Familysearch of children to a John and Mary Lodge in Barnard castle , who fit John and Mary  Wilson's children on 1851 & 61

Offline rjb1984

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 October 14 23:19 GMT (UK) »
Mabel,

Thank you for taking a quick look. I hadn't thought to look at the collection of baptisms and compare.

Were you able to find Elizabeth in the 1871 census? I couldn't find anything.

Thanks,

Rich

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 November 14 15:38 GMT (UK) »
A few Lodge burials at Startforth that match the Wilsons 1851/1861.

24 Jan 1864. Mary Lodge, 26, of Bridge End.
28 Jun 1867. Maria Lodge, 23, of Bridge End.
15 Mar 1873. Mary Lodge, 66 of Bridge End.

A marriage at Startforth 28 Dec 1873, John Richard Winterburn, 20, Bachelor, Labourer, of Rise Scar Darlington (father William Winterburn, Ships Carpenter), and Margaret Lodge, 24, Spinster, of Bridge End Startforth (father John Lodge, Mill Foreman). Witnesses - George H. Lockwood, and Elizabeth A. Lodge.

A baptism at Barnard Castle. John Lodge, of Barnard Castle, born March 20th, baptized April 12th 1807. 2nd son of George Lodge, Weaver, Native of Stainton, by his wife Mary Wilson, Native of Shotton.

Looks like John took his mothers maiden name for while. Thats sometimes hiding from creditors etc. Ancestry has Criminal Registers, Durham Lent Assizes 1826, John Wilson alias Lodge, Larceny, 6 months.

Alan.
Northumberland - Smith, Willis,
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Cumberland - Irving, Hill
North Yorkshire - Layfield,
Ireland - Collins

Offline rjb1984

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 03 November 14 19:16 GMT (UK) »
Well, that's pretty much enough evidence to satisfy me. Thank you both for your help.