Author Topic: Seek Qualter/Fleming connections in Co. Galway  (Read 3445 times)

Offline akunzen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Seek Qualter/Fleming connections in Co. Galway
« on: Saturday 01 November 14 03:08 GMT (UK) »
Looking to connect with other Qualter family related to Myles Qualter, father of Bridget Qualter b. 1847. Possibly father also of Joseph b. 1850, Martin Qualter b. 1853

Joseph, who d. Massachusetts, father listed as Miles Qualter, mother Ellen McCormack
Martin Qualter wedding record 22 Dec 1886 lists parents Miles Qualter and Nelly Mccormack

From recently found marriage record:
Bridget b. 1847- 19 y (father listed as Myles Qualter) m. 5 May 1866  Patrick Fleming, b.1845 21 y, son of John Fleming
Catholic Church at Ballymoe, Galway

Patrick and Bridget are in NY in 1870 US census:
Patrick 27 (1843) Tanner
Bridget 24 (1846)  Keeping house
both born Ireland,
Mary 2 years old (1868) born NY

Any information about this Qualter family that will help me make a connection would be appreciated!

Anne

Offline qancestors

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Seek Qualter/Fleming connections in Co. Galway
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 December 14 03:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I do have quite a bit of information that I have researched over many years of this family.   I am actually a great great granddaughter of the Joseph Qualter that you mention. He was the son of Michael Miles Qualter and Ellenora McCormick - her last name sometimes written as Cormican. And yes known as Nelly. Joseph did settle in Boston as did his bros Thomas and Martin. I have Joseph's complete line to our generations today and the much shorter lines of the other two bros. Thomas had one son who died young and Martin also had only one son who did not have children. Martin had married a widow and was stepfather to her children. I had no knowledge of Bridget thought there was a sister but could never figure it out. I have never put our tree on line but  have seen bits of it on ancestry but will gladly share info with you.
Renee

Offline akunzen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Seek Qualter/Fleming connections in Co. Galway
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 December 14 20:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Renee, Thanks for your response! I have yet to confirm the connection, of course, so I am wondering if you have birth and/or death records or other confirmation for Michael Miles Qualter or his wife.
The marriage record that I found online only lists "Myles Qualter" as father of Bridget b. 1847, so I have nothing but that and family stories to go on.

The record info: Bridget b. 1847- 19 y (father listed as Myles Qualter) m. 5 May 1866  Patrick Fleming, b.1845 21 y, son of John Fleming is from the Catholic Church at Ballymoe, Galway.  The dates are right for my Patrick Fleming and Bridget Qualter, and the names are exact, so I am assuming at this point that I have the right marriage record.

The family story is that Bridget married against her father's wishes,(Patrick was supposed to have been a poor stable-hand, and the Qualters rich landowners, etc...) and then the two went to America. As far as documentation, I have the couple in New York state in 1870 with a 2 year old daughter, Mary. There might have been a child before her. The family by 1880 is in Chicago, IL where they settled and had many children. I live in the area. I can give you all of that if we can find some kind of connecting information.

Bridget was my gr gr grandmother, my immigrant Irish ancestor. I would be most interested in seeing documentation with anything like a common church for marriages or death records, or birth-death-marriage dates for parents or brothers that would fit with Bridget being perhaps in the family. Do you have ship information for the brothers to America? If you like, please email me info, links or documentation at *. I have not posted the family information online, except for queries in forums and don't plan to. Happy to work directly with you and share what I have. :-)  Anne

*Moderator comment: personal e-mail address removed in accordance with RootsChat general practice.  Please use the personal message system to exchange e-mail addresses.  New members may need to two or three posts to be able to access this system.  Thanks