Author Topic: Henry Davinson of Colchester  (Read 4196 times)

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Davinson of Colchester
« Reply #9 on: Monday 10 November 14 16:17 GMT (UK) »
I dont know about it being awkward - it is just that his childhood was pre census time and pre Civil registration!

He could well have been at sea already, at 17 for 1841 census.

You will need to search PRs for his christening in parishes in and around Colchester, armed with a fathers name from his marriage cert.

Essex PRs can be searched online via SEAX site , subscription is needed. Or in person at the Essex Record Office in Chelmsford.

Colchester town, if I remember rightly, has more than one parish. And there are neighbouring villages which, if you were all the way up in Whitby, you may well describe as being "Colchester"
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rogerb

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 11 February 15 13:17 GMT (UK) »
Sorry to bump my own post, but I'd just like to update a bit.

I have the marriage cert of Henry from 25th Dec 1843, and he is Davidson on this, a sailor aged 20.  His father is Thomas Davidson, a farmer.  However, its not signed by him, just his mark.

I note that his first child was born, baptised, died and buried as Davison.
Then his 2nd child is Davinson on BMD and Davison on the Baptism index.
His 3rd child is Davison on the BMD.
It is only after 1852 that Davinson seems to have been adopted permanently.

I know that accurate spelling wasn't so important in the 1800s, but I'm still struggling to find him prior to 1843.

I've had a quick look at the SEAX site but there seems quite a lot of churches in the Colchester parish alone! 

Has anyone got anymore tips before I have to dive into that site?

Roger

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 11 February 15 18:30 GMT (UK) »
Just DIVE!!!!
Yes , several parishes in Colchester, and as I said in reply #9, it may actually be in a neighbouring village.
So you may have to look through numerous parishes. But that's the nitty gritty of Family History research.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline vabbott

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 04 March 15 22:11 GMT (UK) »
Sorry to bump my own post, but I'd just like to update a bit.

I have the marriage cert of Henry from 25th Dec 1843, and he is Davidson on this, a sailor aged 20.  His father is Thomas Davidson, a farmer.  However, its not signed by him, just his mark.

I note that his first child was born, baptised, died and buried as Davison.
Then his 2nd child is Davinson on BMD and Davison on the Baptism index.
His 3rd child is Davison on the BMD.
It is only after 1852 that Davinson seems to have been adopted permanently.

I know that accurate spelling wasn't so important in the 1800s, but I'm still struggling to find him prior to 1843.

I've had a quick look at the SEAX site but there seems quite a lot of churches in the Colchester parish alone! 

Has anyone got anymore tips before I have to dive into that site?

Roger
Hi Roger.  Before you dive in I have cds for Colchester which cover 1813-1851 The only Davidson is Ann Elizabeth Davidson daughter of Robert and Elizabeth Davidson (Artilleryman) of St Giles parish  baptised 1st May 1814 at St Leonards parish church
and a James Davison Labourer full age married Eliza Dowson 16th December 1845 at St Martins Church witnesses William Death and Mary Ann Dowson. There are no further mentions of Davidson or Davison for that period in Colchester. If he was a fisherman you could try Brightlingsea records any more clues you can find and I can look in our local record office for you but I would need some idea of dates.
Hope this helps
Ronnie