Author Topic: I need help from Aberdeen  (Read 1518 times)

Offline KathyinOz12

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I need help from Aberdeen
« on: Thursday 13 November 14 05:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi All, I am new to this site. I am hoping that someone will be kind enough to help with a lookup in Aberdeen next time they are researching. I am researching a James Forrest. Born in Aberdeen around 1812. Convicted of stealing and sentenced to 7 years transportation to Australia.I would like to know if he appeared in any poor lists in Aberdeen. I do not know who his parents were. He sailed on the ship called Morley to Australia in 1829 to serve his sentence and he was only 16 or 17. Any information would be appreciated. Thank You. Kathy

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: I need help from Aberdeen
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 November 14 06:17 GMT (UK) »
At this period there were no parochial boards to administer poor relief. The poor were mainly supported by the church.

I assume you have looked him up in the on-line catalogue of the National Records of Scotland. They have reference to a precognition in 1829 (ref. AD14/29) in connection with theft at Peacock's Close, Aberdeen.

However, when you read the account of the trial in the Aberdeen Journal of 22-4-1829, the procurator fiscal did not bring that charge. Instead James and his accomplices admitted being regular thieves and in particular the theft (on 3-9-1828) of money, clothes and jewellery (which is described) from the house of Dr Brown, Principal of Marischal College.

Offline KathyinOz12

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 November 14 09:19 GMT (UK) »
thank you for that bit of information. I have not seen the part which talks about the trial or jewellery etc. Is there any way you can help me get to it. I'm in Australia and not use to the Scottish sites yet. I have no idea what I'm doing. James was my 3rd great grandfather and I'm trying to find out anything I can about about him. I don't know much about him before he arrived here on a convict ship. I have been stuck on him for over a year now.    Kathy

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 November 14 09:22 GMT (UK) »
I will send you a personal message this evening when I get back from work with details of the account of the trial and the names of his accomplices etc.

Offline KathyinOz12

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 November 14 10:16 GMT (UK) »
Thank You so much!

Offline JENNY COYLE

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 04 March 15 10:02 GMT (UK) »
Hello just noticed your  question .....
Only yesterday I received from Scotland the story of James Forrest and how he became a convict.
My family are descendants of James Forrest
So can I ask you where are you connected to the Forrest family .. It was quite by chance I found you,
I just happened to be a little more inquisitive after what I received yesterday..
My private email is (*)
I live in Sydney .... Regards Jenny Coyle   

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 04 March 15 17:14 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat. The original poster was last here in November 2014. I have sent her a personal message to alert her to your posting, just in case the system doesn't do it automatically.