Author Topic: Can you help in dating this newspaper clipping?  (Read 1081 times)

Offline loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Can you help in dating this newspaper clipping?
« on: Friday 14 November 14 06:53 GMT (UK) »
This comes from Bristol, 18thC, as this newspaper appears to have ceased by 1794.
The website which posted it is not helpful.

If someone could suggest a range of dates based on the font, layout, etc., I would be very grateful.  A key question is whether it's before about 1770-80, as that would make a big difference to my research.

Thanks for any help.

http://discoveringbristol.org.uk/browse/slavery/adverts-for-shops
ARMSTRONG - Castleton Scot; NB; Westminstr Twp
BARFIELD - Nailsea
BRAKE - Nailsea
BURIATTE
CANDY - M'sex, Deptford
CLIFFORD - Maidstone
DURE(E) - France, Devon, Canada
HALLS - Chigwell
KREIN, Peter/Adam - Germany
LEOPOLD - Hanover, London
LATTIMER, MAXWELL - Ldn lightermen
MEYER - Lauenstein
MURRAY - Scot borders
STEWART - Chelsea; Reach
SWANICK - Mayo & Roscommon; Ontario
WEST - Rochester & Maidstone
WILLIS - Wilts, Berks, Hants, London
WOODHOUSE - Bristol tobacconist, London
WW1 internees

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Can you help in dating this newspaper clipping?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 November 14 07:24 GMT (UK) »
Here's a 1774 reference to Mary Darvill's coffee house in Corn Street (top right of page) https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/11419/page/3/data.pdf
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 November 14 07:28 GMT (UK) »
Is there not a date on the top of the page where the clipping appears, or has it physically been cut out?

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 November 14 07:29 GMT (UK) »
Another one here from 1767 https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/10714/page/3/data.pdf

(column 2, 3rd from bottom)

Offline loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 November 14 09:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much for those clippings, Shaun.  They do shed light. 
The 2nd one is 1767, and implies that Mary's shop, assuming same shop in precisely the same location, had already been open for some period of time.  This would mean that the advert for John Woodhouse, below hers in the original clipping, was an established businessman by 1767.  The fact that his ad says "& Co." suggests he's had time to develop the business, so I would assume he was at least 25 yrs old, and likely older.  I know from other research that some people who were active in that industry were just under their own name and some were "& Co.", about half-and-half. 

For my purposes, this is significant because my earliest known ancestor by this name and trade was born about 1750, so the person in the clipping must be at least one generation before him.  In this family, the name John was retained successively for at least 5 generations until the last one died young in 1902, and it could well go back much further.

The font etc looks fairly similar, so clipping might date to 1760s?

No, Ruskie, there are no clues in what is seen online - very frustrating.  It says it came from the BBC Library, but that looks like an old reference, and I don't think I'd likely get anything from the BBC.  Even the name of the newspaper, which CAN be dated, is not entirely reliable because there are several clippings from it on that site, and they are all attributed to that paper.  However, the paper by that name had a much shorter lifespan than that covered by the clippings, most of which do have dates ascribed.  The paper did have various similar names at different times in the century, as it was a family business. The paper with this precise title, for what it's worth, appears to date from 1752 to 1777, but can't assume that's when this clipping was published.

Thanks again. 
BARFIELD - Nailsea
BRAKE - Nailsea
BURIATTE
CANDY - M'sex, Deptford
CLIFFORD - Maidstone
HALLS - Chigwell
MEYER - Lauenstein
MURRAY - Scot borders
STEWART - Chelsea; Reach
WW1 internees

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 14 November 14 09:55 GMT (UK) »
"John Woodhouse & Co, Tobacconists & Snuff Makers" suggests to me a partnership in which John Woodhouse is the senior partner.

From the Gazette there is evidence of such a partnership between John Woodhouse, Robert Norton and Joshua Browne pre-1790:

1790:  https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/13249/page/648/data.pdf  Robert Norton leaves the business, which is continued by John Woodhouse and Joshua Browne

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 14 November 14 10:26 GMT (UK) »
Here we go. The ad below John Woodhouse is for Henry and William Toye.  This partnership was dissolved in 1775 so the ad cannot be later than that,

"
BRISTOL, OCTOBER 5, 1775.
WHEREAS the Partnership lately carried on by HENRY and WILLIAM TOYE, Linen-Drapers, in High-street, was on the 29th of Sept. last finally dissolved, therefore, All Persons who stand indebted to the said Copartnership are desired to pay the same to HENRY TOYE, who is authorized to receive the same; and all Persons to whom the said Partnership stands indebted are desired to apply to the said HENRY TOYE, for Payment of their respective Debts.
HENRY TOYE,
WILLIAM TOYE

HENRY TOYE,
LINEN-DRAPER and MERCER, No.15, opposite the
Market-Gate, in HIGH-STREET,

BEING much obliged to his Friends and the Public, whilst connected with his Brother, - informs them that he has now a large Assortment of Goods, particularly a great Variety of Muslins, Irish Linens, Irish, Russia, and Bromsgrove Sheetings; Table-Linen; Lawns, Dimities, Marseilles Quilting, Marseilles Bed-Quilts, Cotton Counterpanes, Morea Gowns, Furniture Checks, Furniture Printed Cottons, and printed Linens and Cottons to the newest and genteelest Patterns, which he is determined to sell on the most reasonable Terms and intreats the Continuance of the Favours of his Friends and the Public.
Norwich Crapes and Bombazeenes. The greatest Variety of worked Aprons, Ruffles, Gowns, &c. as usual.
Bolting Cloths, for dressing Meal, made in the best Manner.
*** Wanted a Shopman who understands the Business; one who has served his Apprenticeship in the Country will have the Preference."

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~dutillieul/ZOtherPapers/NewB&M28Oct1775.html

Offline loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 14 November 14 14:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, again, Shaun!

Since I posted last, I have discovered through the city directories that John Woodhouse was in partnership with Norton (no mention of Browne that I noticed) from at least 1784, and up to 1792 according to directories, but obviously they did not update at the end.  After that, he went back to John Woodhouse & Co to 1799 which is as far as the directories go, that I can find online.

The John Woodhouse who was born in 1750 died in 1822; and the one of the same name whom I am fairly sure is his son lived 1777-1830.  Therefore, the one who was involved in the partnership had to have been the older one.  The 1775 Directory has him as John Woodhouse & Co., same yr as Toyes broke up, so the partnership in question was formed 1775 or later and ended 1790.  The address on Wine St persisted until at least 1795 according to directories.

This is great progress being able to pin it down to prior to Oct 1775, and my guess, considering Mary, is probably several years before that.  Thanks again.

I guess my lingering question is whether, at age 25 (in 1775) or less, John senior was old enough to have been running this business, or was it his father's business?, which would introduce another generation.  I have no other records pointing any further back - yet. 

(I think I'd like to order some "Bombazeenes" from Mr Toyes, just to see what they were - they sound wonderfully impressive!!).
BARFIELD - Nailsea
BRAKE - Nailsea
BURIATTE
CANDY - M'sex, Deptford
CLIFFORD - Maidstone
HALLS - Chigwell
MEYER - Lauenstein
MURRAY - Scot borders
STEWART - Chelsea; Reach
WW1 internees

Offline mauricej

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 14 November 14 14:52 GMT (UK) »
(I think I'd like to order some "Bombazeenes" from Mr Toyes, just to see what they were - they sound wonderfully impressive!!).

Bombazeene (or Bombazine):
    a twilled dress fabric of worsted and silk or cotton, especially in black formerly used for mourning clothes.