Author Topic: Killed onboard 'City Of Belfast' 15-10-1917  (Read 955 times)

Offline grizzly1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Killed onboard 'City Of Belfast' 15-10-1917
« on: Friday 14 November 14 23:13 GMT (UK) »
Im researching 919524  'Trimmer' Gerald Daly aged 18 from Dublin who was one of 3 men killed when the 'City of Belfast' was attacked on the 15 October 1917.
Im aware of his grave in Gibraltar, but im curious as to whether their would be a ships log or any records available as to how he was killed opposed to the info that is online regarding the attack itself.?

Gerald's brother 8525 James Edward Daly of the Royal Munster Fusiliers had been killed 2 years previously on 9th May 1915..his body never recovered.

Another Brother, 24218 Prvt William Daly I believe served with 12 Royal Irish Fusilier's according to postcard sent to Woodside Hospital Glasgow in 1917.
I then have a postcard addressed to him in March 1918 as a 'Stoker' aboard the HMS 'Vindex'

I have several documents relating to the brother's from the time..national health insurance cards with the name HMS Eagle for Gerald, also reference to HMS Vindex.

Any input into any of these men would be gratefully recieved.

Offline HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.sscityofcairo.co.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Killed onboard 'City Of Belfast' 15-10-1917
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 November 14 12:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
Gerald Daly was a trimmer in the Mercantile Marine Reserve. The ships logbook for your time period is held at Kew in piece ADM 53/37866 - http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C1502216

He was awarded the Victory Medal and the British War Medal, which were sent to his father.

Regards
Hugh
Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO

Offline Harry Belafonte

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Killed onboard 'City Of Belfast' 15-10-1917
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 April 19 12:44 BST (UK) »
Hi, my grandfather (Andrew Reid) was wounded in the same action, I put all the photos I have on line at https://www.pinterest.co.uk/fultonah/ww1-hms-city-of-belfast/ which may be of use? There is a site for O'connell where I found a number of photos including the damage to the ship - have you seen this?
I hope this helps you