Author Topic: Theresa Ethel Polly Wycherley  (Read 1684 times)

Offline rutht22000

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Theresa Ethel Polly Wycherley
« on: Saturday 22 November 14 10:25 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Following on from this thread

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=594946.msg4452292#msg4452292

I have possibly foolishly tried to see if I can find who Ethel D Grantham was as after searching high and low there doesn't seem to be a marriage between Thomas William Grantham and any Ethel D anywhere (or at least in the UK but have no real reason to look abroad) to confirm who her father was.

Just searching on first names only there was an 'Ethel D', daughter of George Richard Wycherley and his wife Sarah on the 1891 census at RG12 2111 84 39, born right year (ish) 1879 and in the right place - Shrewsbury. 

Trouble is there is no associated BMD entry for an Ethel D Wycherley and going back 10 years into 1881 there is no 2 year old Ethel D Wycherley with George and Sarah, however there is a Theresa Ethel Polly with them aged 2 born Shrewsbury.  FindMyPast has all George & Sarah's children's baptisms, including 2 daughters that died in between census returns and again no Ethel D. 

With no traceable marriage certificate between the Grantham's I can't check this information out and I cannot see Theresa Ethel Polly getting married to anyone or dying anywhere (as a Wycherley or Grantham).  Thomas William Grantham is 'single' on the 1911 census with a housekeeper Mary A Lamb who I know he marries in 1914.

I am not sure whether I am clutching at straws due to the existence of the name 'Ethel'.  The initial D is concerning but some of her siblings initials change on later census too and one of her sisters gained a name by the time she died, so anything is possible.

So if anyone has any views or can find where Theresa Ethel Polly goes so I can discount her that would be great

Thanks
Ruth
Jeacock
Colebourne
Shepherd
Scotter
Sievers
Knowles
Pritchard
Lilley
Hart/Hertz
Woodmansey
Monnington
Thomas (South Wales)
John (South Wales)
Pearce (South Wales)

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Theresa Ethel Polly Wycherley
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 November 14 00:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ruth

have you got a copy of the 1914 marriage certificate so you know what his status was, ie bachelor, widower, previous marriage dissolved?

I'm looking at the 1901 census and thinking the enumerator may have got Ethel wrong, she may have been a housekeeper but not a wife

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea