Author Topic: Completed: James Arthur HENRY 1881-1957  (Read 9114 times)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Completed: James Arthur HENRY 1881-1957
« on: Saturday 29 November 14 20:32 GMT (UK) »
Born 1881 in England, died 1957 in England. Between 1904 and 1914 he 'appears' to have been to Canada and back at least twice but I am having trouble finding records to back that up

Definite sightings:
1 birth registered Q3 1881 Gateshead, Co Durham England, parents George Lyal HENRY and Joann HENRY (nee INKSTER)
2 1891 England census, with parents and siblings, age 9, scholar, 99 & 101 Redheugh Road, Gateshead, Co Durham RG12/P4176/F18/Pge30
3 1901 England census,with parents and siblings, age 19, occ Stonemason,  84 Claremont St, Gateshead, Co Durham RG13/P4753/F54/Pge58
4 “My’ James Arthur HENRY is nowhere to be found in the 1911 census for England & Wales, nor is he to be found in Scotland
5 1912 20th April, age 30, marriage to Elizabeth PUGMIRE at St Cuthbert’s Church Gateshead, occupation Stone Cutter, address 16 Berlin Street, Gateshead, Co Durham
6 1914, age 34, occ stonecutter, passenger on SS Grampian, arriving from Montreal to Liverpool 28 Nov 1914, destination 30 First Street, Gateshead (his parents’ address) country of last permanent residence, Canada, intended country of permanent residence, England
7  Births of 3 children in Gateshead, Co Durham, England Florence (1917), Dorothy (1919), Ronald (1920)

I am happy that the above is correct and they are the same (and the right) man.

Unverified info
1 I am told that James and Elizabeth had a child called George William Athol HENRY born March 1913, he died in Gateshead, Co Durham, England in 1988, but its highly likely he was born in Canada - no back up for this info, but I am unable to find a birth registration in the UK for this child.

2 I have a 'possible' outgoing passenger list entry in 1904, Liverpool to Montreal, arriving 08 Oct 1904, James A  HENRY, age 23, single, occ mason, came from Co Durham, England, headed for Mc Adam Junction - this matches for name, age and county he came from and I know he had relatives in the Fredericton area of York County, NB which isn’t a million miles from McAdam Junction  so its all in the right ballpark.

Possible scenario (if I can find the records to back it up)

James Arthur went to Canada in 1904, then came home sometime between then and 1912 when he married in Gateshead. Then he and his wife went back to Canada sometime after their marriage in 1912, had this child called George William in 1913 and then, when war broke out, he returned to the UK to ‘do his duty’, wife and first child followed at some stage and after 1917 I am back on an even track with this family.

What I have still to find (if it exists)
1 An incoming to the UK  passenger listing for James Arthur HENRY sometime between 1904 and his marriage in Gateshead in 1912
2 An outgoing , UK- Canada (by whatever route) for James Arthur and his wife Elizabeth sometime between his marriage in 1912 and his return in 1914
3 An incoming Canada - UK, by whatever route, passenger listing for wife Elizabeth and possible child George William Athol HENRY sometime between 1913 (when the child was born) and 1917 (when the next child was born in Gateshead)
4 a birth/baptism record in Canada for this child would be the icing on the cake :-)

Phew! Sorry,  that goes on a bit, but I wanted to give as much detail as possible to avoid anyone wasting their time looking for stuff I already have.

If anyone has the time to look and see if there is a passenger listing I have missed, or can suggest any other possible resources I would be REALLY grateful.

Thanks

Boo

Offline manawakian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: James Arthur HENRY 1881-1957
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 November 14 15:02 GMT (UK) »
James Henry age 30 stone cutter and wife Lily age 21, both born England, arrive Quebec City 13 May 1912 aboard CORSICAN headed for Regina Saskatchewan.  Saskatchewan is supposed to have online births before 100 years ago but quick searches of common names indicates they are only entered up to about 1908.

Offline manawakian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 November 14 16:16 GMT (UK) »
Lillie Hendry age 22 and William Hendry infant aboard PRETORIAN from Montreal to Glasgow arrived 3 Nov 1914.  Only likelies found on incoming list between 1914 and 1918.  Arrived UK 25 days before James, probably travelled separately because of submarine threat.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 November 14 16:50 GMT (UK) »
manawakian, I really can't thank you enough :-)

That really does look like they are the right ones - they have provisionally ticked off items 2 and 3 of my wish list. As for Item 4 - the birth -  I will keep an eye on the Sask births index, if he was born there then it will turn up in the fullness of time.

Which leaves me with item 1 - the missing incoming to the UK journey between 1904 and 1912 for James Arthur, I may have found a 'possible' for that too. His brother, Albert, was also AWOL from the 1911 UK census. I have a likely passenger list for him going to Canada, on the SS Canada 15 April 1910. He too was back in the UK in time for James and Elizabeth's wedding as he was best man.
There is a passenger list arriving Liverpool 25 Nov 1911 on the Empress of Ireland that has an Albert and a James HENRY on it. listed together. The ages are out and the occupations are both ditto-ed as 'farmer' but its in the possibles box anyway :-)

Thanks again, really kind of you to take the time to look and its very much appreciated.

Boo

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 December 14 01:23 GMT (UK) »
http://automatedgenealogy.com

1911/Saskatchewan/Regina/62Regina/page 4

Henry, Albert b. Dec 1886, age 25
Henry, James b. June 1882, age 29
both born England
immigration 1910
occupation could be stone cutter, employer - farmer, house building or builder
lodgers with other immigrants from England with occupations lumberman, teamster, blacksmith

You can view the original census pages through the split view option. The census info is not very clear but this may be your James and Albert.

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 01 December 14 04:57 GMT (UK) »
I'm a little confused. I thought his wife's name was Elizabeth. How does Lily fit in? And do you have any information indicating George William Athol was called William?

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 01 December 14 12:31 GMT (UK) »

Thank you valeriec !!

Another for the 'fairly likely' box. I really do appreciate all this help.

I have the scan now and by opening it in a graphics package and 'twiddling' a bit, I do believe that the immigration year for James could well say 1904, which would fit in with the other possible/likely records I have stashed away.

thanks again

Boo

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 01 December 14 12:46 GMT (UK) »
I'm a little confused. I thought his wife's name was Elizabeth. How does Lily fit in? And do you have any information indicating George William Athol was called William?

Jacquie

Hello Jacquie

The info about the child comes 'third hand' but the source, I am told, came from a nephew of his. That's all I know and until I find something to back it up he doesn't get his own twig on my tree, but I'll continue to try to find something to back it up.
George William Athol HENRY - well his paternal Granda was George, his maternal Granda was William and lord alone knows where the Athol may have come from.

Yes, James' wife 'was' Elizabeth, but I have learned to not discount records that on the surface have incorrect names. They get squirrelled away until I can either find back up to show that the person was also known by a different name or back up to prove its definitely not them. In this case the passenger record matches on his name/age and the timing of the journey, her name doesn't match and is slightly 'out'. I am not taking it as writ in stone (as nothing ever is) but have it in the 'possible veering towards likely' category.

I once spent two whole years trying to track down a lady called Lily, my Pa in law's aunt who emigrated to the US. Turned out in the end, that although she was known to the family as Lily, her actual name was Eleanor Mary - and she had a sister the family called Aggie, whose real name was Kathleen. Go figure that one :-)

Any and all 'possibles' are gratefully received, checked out and stashed away for the day I 'may' find something that takes them out of possible and into 'on balance, I now have enough checking points to be as sure as I ever can be' or the 'well it was worth a shot, but its not the right one'

Thanks for your input, all responses and viewpoints give me more to consider and are appreciated.

Boo

Offline manawakian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 01 December 14 23:01 GMT (UK) »
Age for James 20 Apr 1912 = 30
Age for James 13 May 1912 = 30

Age for Elizabeth 20 Apr 1912 = ??
Age for Lily         13 May 1912 = 21

If ?? = 21 good chance Elizabeth = Lily