Author Topic: Evidence without christenings  (Read 1929 times)

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
Evidence without christenings
« on: Tuesday 02 December 14 22:12 GMT (UK) »
This is what I know:

My James GRIFFITH(S) c1805 Mydrim, a carpenter, moved to Llanwinio and married. His second marriage was when he was nearly 70 and has his father as William GRIFFITHS, carpenter. I believe I may now have found William's marriage in 1792 to Elizabeth WILLIAM. He is a carpenter.

Another rootschatter has an ancestor William GRIFFITHS c1808, Mydrim, a carpenter, moved to Llanwinio and married. Unfortunately I have only seen the banns of marriage for both James and William Jr.

I have been unable to find christenings for any of my Griffiths family. William Jr christens his eldest two as Calvinist.

My gut feeling is that William and James were brothers. Without the christenings though, it's about amounting circumstantial evidence.

One question I wanted to ask was- my James was literate, as evidenced by his signing of various certification (like his second marriage). William Snr also signed his marriage entry. At this time, how common was it to be literate and could this be used as circumstantial evidence of connection?

Anyone got any other thoughts on how I might be able to mount evidence between James, William Snr and William Jr?

???

Offline clayton bradley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Evidence without christenings
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 December 14 14:13 GMT (UK) »
Similarity of children's names, comparing those children's names to previous generation, wills, occupation (you have that one), Y-DNA, checking every marriage in the extended families for witnesses, checking out any possible alternatives to cross them off your list, sorry, I'm sure you know all these. Signing your own name doesn't necessarily mean you could do much more, cb
Broadley (Lancs all dates and Halifax bef 1654)

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
Re: Evidence without christenings
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 December 14 22:38 GMT (UK) »
It is pleasing to note that both James and William had early daughters called Elizabeth but all of the children have common names that in combination with "Griffiths" mean nothing... also, I'm missing the first few of James' children because the early ones have left by 1841 so that's not helpful! The same with witnesses to the marriage, all such common names that probably have nothing to do with anything. I think William Jr left a will (if not William then another apparent brother) but not found one for William Snr or James. James died an "imbecile" so I wonder if he ever actually made one.