Author Topic: Looking for marriage of William Fleming and Sophia Jane Houston Smith in Ireland  (Read 4297 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for marriage of William Fleming and Sophia Jane Houston Smith in Ireland
« Reply #9 on: Friday 05 December 14 22:58 GMT (UK) »
Sorry but I can't really see the problem here. You have birth records for children of William Fleming and Sophia/Susannah Smith/Houston/Shellford, one of which says the marriage took place in Old Machar and there is a marriage there between William Fleming & Susanah Jane Smith. Surely looking at that marriage to check William's occupation, etc. would help & give you the names of both sets of parents.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline dogsandcat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Born - Aberdeen, Scotland. Moved to Canada in 1971
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for marriage of William Fleming and Sophia Jane Houston Smith in Ireland
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 06 December 14 02:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks. You made me realize that altho' I had recorded the marriage date and place, I hadn't looked at the actual document. I have now. It turns out Sophia / Susanah was a widow of a Mr Shelford. I now have both sets of parents. I guess William and Sophia/ Susanah did not marry in Belfast. Maybe Susanah and Henry Shelford did. I have a new puzzle. Thanks everyone.
Anderson, Armit, Baird, Black, Booth, Clark [N. Ireland], Collie, Corbert, Donaldson, Duncan, Euart, Ferguson, Fleming [N. Ireland], Forbes, Fyfe, Gibson, Gill, Johnston, Laing, Lobban, Lumsden, Mackie, Marshall, Martin, McIntosh, McKenzie/ Kydon, McLeod, McRobb, Milner, Neilson, Paterson, Pride, Rennie, Ritchie, Simpson, Slater, Smith [N. Ireland], Stephen, Stewart, Thomson,
Troup. All in Scotland plus as noted.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 06 December 14 04:47 GMT (UK) »

A John Fleming married a Sophia Jane Foley in Belfast on 12 July 1864.  Is it a possibility that this is a brother of William and that William and Susannah 'adopted' aspects of this for respectability after Elizabeth's birth?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 06 December 14 09:28 GMT (UK) »
Getting even more confusing (and interesting) now with gaffy's discovery-

... The marriage info I have was from the birth record of daughter Elizabeth, born in Aberdeen in 1866. It notes marriage on July 12 1864 in Belfast. In the birth rec. of daughter Ann Isabella in 1875, also in Aberdeen, the marriage was on March 25 1867 in Old Machar. ...

A John Fleming married a Sophia Jane Foley in Belfast on 12 July 1864.  Is it a possibility that this is a brother of William and that William and Susannah 'adopted' aspects of this for respectability after Elizabeth's birth?

Here's the extract- John Fleming, widower, father called James Fleming-
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FG8G-6PL

What were the names of William Fleming's parents on the 1867 Scottish marriage?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline dogsandcat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Born - Aberdeen, Scotland. Moved to Canada in 1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 10 December 14 20:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi. First of all thanks for continuing to be interested in this mystery. In the 1867 marriage record, William's parents are listed as John Fleming, Labourer, and Mary Clark(deceased). also in the record, altho' the name of the bride is Susanah J. Houston or Shelford, the word 'Jane' is added at the bottom of the entry. I am wondering if the marriage date in Belfast could be a second one for his father. I'll keep digging.
Kathy
Anderson, Armit, Baird, Black, Booth, Clark [N. Ireland], Collie, Corbert, Donaldson, Duncan, Euart, Ferguson, Fleming [N. Ireland], Forbes, Fyfe, Gibson, Gill, Johnston, Laing, Lobban, Lumsden, Mackie, Marshall, Martin, McIntosh, McKenzie/ Kydon, McLeod, McRobb, Milner, Neilson, Paterson, Pride, Rennie, Ritchie, Simpson, Slater, Smith [N. Ireland], Stephen, Stewart, Thomson,
Troup. All in Scotland plus as noted.