Author Topic: Parents of Phoebe Gleave, c.1630-1667 of High Legh(?)  (Read 2489 times)

Offline RBOD

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Parents of Phoebe Gleave, c.1630-1667 of High Legh(?)
« on: Monday 08 December 14 16:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I’m looking for the parents/baptism of Phoebe Gleave, who was born c.1620-1640, probably around Lymm/Rostherne - though she later lived in Warrington and Great Budworth parishes. I know that this far back even surviving records can be almost illegible, but I’d like to fit her into the well-recorded Gleave clan of High Legh, so I’m still hopeful... (I’m just about to send off for the book about the family sold by the Cheshire FHS, but it would be great to hear from anyone else on here with possible connections.)

Phoebe’s first marriage was to Gilbert Dumvill/Domville (1623-1661), a draper/mercer of Warrington, on 15 Nov 1656 at St Elphin’s, Warrington. They had two children who died in infancy. After Gilbert’s death, Phoebe remarried on 18 Oct 1663 in Warrington to Richard Sandilands (c.1635-1712), a yeoman living in Crowley, 4 miles SW of High Legh and in Great Budworth parish. They had one surviving daughter – my ancestor, also called Phoebe – before Phoebe died shortly after giving birth to their second, short-lived child in July 1667.

It turns out that Gilbert Domville’s sister Mary (b.1621) also married a John Gleave, on 17 Jan 1649 in Lymm, and I’m hoping that this John was Phoebe’s brother. I’ve found a transcription of Gilbert Domville’s will, and in it he leaves money to Gilbert and Phoebe Gleave, children of his brother-in-law John Gleave of High Legh... It seems too much of a coincidence to have the name Phoebe Gleave appear twice in the Domvilles’ in-laws without them being related. I’ve found the young Gilbert Gleave’s baptism at Lymm in 1654 (there’s a possible match with a Gilbert who died in 1723 at High Legh), but nothing for the younger Phoebe either...

Sorry for the long message! If anyone stumbles across this with relevant info, I’d be very grateful for the help...

Thanks.
Ronan

Offline rolnora

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Parents of Phoebe Gleave, c.1630-1667 of High Legh(?)
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 December 14 17:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ronan,

Not sure if relevant to your search but have you tried the Cheshire Register Project.
I have spotted two Phoebe Gleaves and although the dates are a bit later being 1679 for both of them it might be worth you taking a look. :)

There are Gleave baptisms starting 1579

http://cgi.csc.liv.ac.uk/~cprdb/
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RBOD

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Parents of Phoebe Gleave, c.1630-1667 of High Legh(?)
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 December 14 20:28 GMT (UK) »
Thanks rolnora! I just discovered it yesterday actually... One of the 1679 Phoebes might be a great-niece of mine (daughter of Gilbert), and there are a couple of possible baptisms for John Gleave in 1620 as well, but hard to be sure of any of it without anything definite for my Phoebe. I think wills might be my best bet... Thank you very much all the same.