Author Topic: 82 Lorenzo Street, Edmonton - where was it (bombed WW2)?  (Read 6030 times)

Offline ChigwellGavin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 82 Lorenzo Street, Edmonton - where was it (bombed WW2)?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 02 January 15 15:21 GMT (UK) »
It was Ada Morrell (born 1815) who was said to have been born at 82 Lorenco Road.  Seems the family moved around a lot though.  Another brother (born 1908) had his address at birth given as Bridport Road on the birth certificate, but it turned out he was also born in the Workhouse, and Bridport road was the address used on the birth certificate to cover the fact he was a workhouse baby.

It is astounding how ordinary people were punished for their poverty. I have very little knowledge of the workhouse system, but I know that many of one branch of my family were born close to them which makes me wonder if they were actually born in them. I've been trying to find out one way or another. But the history of the poor laws is interesting but it astounds me that governments ever through it was a good way to treat people.

Offline ike

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 02 January 15 20:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, not herd of lorenzo st but knew of lorenzo road it was near white hart lane my rellies lived there up to 1918. it got the name of little russia because of the immigrants leaving their home land because of the revolution 1917. it was a very rough deprived area and was demolished in the 1970's hope this is a bit of use  :)
brown's and broom's of norfolk area, butcher of bromyard, goodall' edmonton, tottenham, bexley heath, walthamstow.  attwell/atwell? hamlett of walthamstow.  long's of norfolk

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 05 January 15 14:13 GMT (UK) »
Lorenco Road, near White Hart Lane, was a notorious street in Edmonton, nicknamed - as others suggest - Little Russia, due to the immigrant population. The story goes that it was so notorious, that the local police would only patrol in twos!

Being Tottenham born, I knew the area very well until it was demolished, if I recall correctly, in the 1970s.

If you are interested in the history of this street, I suggest that you contact Bruce Castle Park Museum in Tottenham, who are very helpful, or their counterparts in Enfield. Another really good source is the following site, which is devoted to this street:

http://lorencoroad.co.uk

It mentions the Moles who lived at 82A Lorenco Road.