Author Topic: World War 1 Chaplain  (Read 1013 times)

Offline AlanR83

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
World War 1 Chaplain
« on: Wednesday 17 December 14 03:17 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I am trying to find more information about the war record of my relative Reverend Patrick Alfred Mullally who I believe served as a Roman Catholic Chaplain with the American Army in World War 1. I have information on his later life I know he ended up serving as a priest in St Ann's Rectory, Shinnston near Clarksburg, West Virginia. I also know that his superior in the army at some stage was Father Matthew Walsh who became President of Notre Dame University in the 1920's. Father Walsh and Father Mullally remained friends after the war and I have found some correspondence between them in the Notre Dame Archives, however they don't go into specifics about their war service. I do know that Father Matthew was in the 35th Infantry so maybe this is also where Father Mullally served, but I can find no records? Any infor or advice would be appreciated.
Below is an extract from a letter I have from Rev Walsh to Rev Mullally dated August 3rd, 1922:
"Not long ago I had the pleasure of meeting your former over-seas Vicar-General. He had tears in his eyes when he spoke of you and referred to you as the most dependable chaplain in the service of the Knights of Columbus"  - I don't know what this refers to?   

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: World War 1 Chaplain
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 December 14 14:13 GMT (UK) »
He sailed from Liverpool to New York arriving 24 Sep. 1916.  The passenger list says he was a priest and going to join friend Dr. O'Donoghue in Wheeling, West Virginia. 

The 1917 Clarksburg, West Virginia city directory has an entry for Rev. Patrick A. Mullaly, asst. rector of Church of the Immaculate Conception, home 126 E. Pike.

There isn't much in the way of comprehensive military records for individuals online.  There is information about ordering military records here - http://www.archives.gov/st-louis/military-personnel/public/general-public.html  There was a fire that destroyed a lot of records from this era unfortunately.

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 December 14 14:28 GMT (UK) »
There seems to be a reference to Patrick A. Mullaly in 1923 here - http://stannshinnston.com/about

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 December 14 16:18 GMT (UK) »
This appears to be Patrick's WWI draft registration card - https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:K83B-GB9  As you may know, all men of a certain age were required to register for the draft, but it doesn't mean that they served.

It looks like Patrick A. Mullaly, priest, age 29, sailed from New York to Glasgow, arriving 16 Nov. 1918.  His country of last permanent residence was USA.  That would have been 5 days after the war ended.  Perhaps a chaplain was needed then?

He doesn't appear in the 1919 Clarksburg, WV city directory, but the listing in the 1921 city directory is the same as the 1917 one mentioned above.  He is also in many subsequent Clarksburg city directories.

A passenger list from Cobh to New York in 1932 indicated that he was naturalized in the District Court at Clarksburg on 6 Oct. 1925.