Author Topic: Poole - Archam  (Read 3866 times)

Offline Goorikidz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Poole - Archam
« on: Sunday 18 July 04 23:49 BST (UK) »
Have just realised that Atcham is in Mongomeryshire, thought it was in Shropshire.  I know that the early records are classed under Salop or Shropshire.
I have a Jeffrey POOLE, living in Birmingham in 1881 and 1891 census', born Atcham 1881 an Assist. Chemist, and in 1891 a Chemist. 
Don't know who he is attached to yet.
Maybe someone could help me ???

Janette
BONUS: Meath Ireland
BULL: Warwickshire
CANDLER: Essex;
CHILDS: Hampshire; IOW
COLES: Worcestershire, & Newport Wales; Australia
GAUDIN: Nottinghamshire; Australia, New Caledonia, France
HIGGERSON; Middlesex;
LLOYD: Montgomeryshire Wales
LITTLEWOOD: possibly Cornwall
POOLE: Llanymynech Wales, Sussex, Shropshire, Oswestry, Warwickshire, Australia;
POWELL: Shrewsbury, Shropshire
RAINBOW: Worcestershire
RAYNER: Wivenhoe, Essex, Australia
WILLIAMS: Monmouthshire;

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
Re: Poole - Archam
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 September 04 20:54 BST (UK) »
Hi

Atcham IS in Shropshire, not Montgomeryshire.  It's just on the outskirts of Shrewsbury about a mile or so.

Is this your Jeffrey in the 1881 census:

Household:

Name  Relation Marital Status Gender Age Birthplace Occupation Disability
 George WILCOX   Head   W   Male   60   Birmm, Warwick, England   Chemist     
 Rose WILCOX   Daur   U   Female   26   Birmm, Warwick, England       
 Louisa WILCOX   Daur   U   Female   24   Birmm, Warwick, England       
 Clement W. WILCOX   Son   U   Male   21   Birmm, Warwick, England   Tailor     
 Alfred E. WILCOX   Son   U   Male   17   Birmm, Warwick, England   Brass Founder     
 Sarah A. WILCOX   Sister In Law   U   Female   60   Birmm, Warwick, England       
 Arthur W. RAWLINS   Assistant   U   Male   27   Hanford, Stafford, England   Chemists Asst     
 Jeffery POOLE   Assistant   U   Male   18   Rowton, Shropshire, England   Chemists Asst   

George W. GERMAN   Apprentice   U   Male   16   Edengate, Stafford, England   Chemists Apprentice     
 Ellen EDWARDS   Serv   U   Female   34   Abberley, Worcester, England   Domestic Servant     

If it is it states his birthplace as Rowton, Shropshire.  Rowton is approx. 6 miles west of Shrewsbury.  Maybe he lied about his birthplace?

Jan

All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline Goorikidz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 September 04 23:38 BST (UK) »
Jan

Yes that is the gentleman I was searching for, but I know some of them lied about where they were born, or maybe the head of the house didn't know for sure.

Thanks for steering me in the right direction.

Janette
BONUS: Meath Ireland
BULL: Warwickshire
CANDLER: Essex;
CHILDS: Hampshire; IOW
COLES: Worcestershire, & Newport Wales; Australia
GAUDIN: Nottinghamshire; Australia, New Caledonia, France
HIGGERSON; Middlesex;
LLOYD: Montgomeryshire Wales
LITTLEWOOD: possibly Cornwall
POOLE: Llanymynech Wales, Sussex, Shropshire, Oswestry, Warwickshire, Australia;
POWELL: Shrewsbury, Shropshire
RAINBOW: Worcestershire
RAYNER: Wivenhoe, Essex, Australia
WILLIAMS: Monmouthshire;

Offline simondmd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 31 January 22 17:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Janette, I know a lot about your Pooles. Jeffrey Poole born 1863 at Cardeston Park Farm (just next to Rowton to the WSW of Shrewsbury). His father was Thomas Poole (1835-1905) who farmed Cardeston when his father Thomas Poole died young (1802-1851). Thomas the son moved farms to Aston House Farm, Aston on Clun. I have his diary. Jeffrey his son married Mary Jane Jukes (1857-1843) who had been a family governess to his sisters. He became a chemist in Birmingham. His brother Bernard Poole was my Great Grandfather. Jeffrey brought my grandmother (Iliffe Poole married William Morley Davies) a house in Newport Shropshire (where my Dad grew up). There was a Jeffrey Poole in Atcham (Shropshire), but he was your Jeffrey's uncle (1839-1898). My Dad has a huge silver platter he won for his prize turnips :)  I have these Pooles traced back to the 1600s - helped in part by an 1833 pocketbook full of family history research!! The owner of the pocketbook.... another Jeffrey Poole. The eldest was always Jeffrey. They clearly owned land over the years. Jeffrey Poole 1733-1801 had at least five farm estates (I have his will)... I could go on. Please feel free to contact me and I can send you scans of all these amazing records and help generally if I can further.. the attached picture is your Jeffrey Poole the chemsiy=t