Author Topic: changing from roots magic 4 to family historian 6  (Read 2564 times)

Offline rosijayne

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
changing from roots magic 4 to family historian 6
« on: Sunday 28 December 14 10:14 GMT (UK) »
Moving on from my last post where I queried upgrading rm 4 to rm 7, I am now wondering whether it might be sensible to change programme altogether.

I had a look at Family Historian 6 and liked the idea that you can view all relatives on the screen - something that I have been unable to do on rm 4.  It would also be good to print all relatives reports, I am assuming that you can do that with FH 6?

If I was to change programme completely, how easy is it to move all of my data from one programme to another without losing anything along the way?

Look forward to any advice on this one. thanks

Gill

Fill/Field-Kent       
Hayward/wilts
Wood/Kent
Shoesmith/Kent
Andrews/Kent
Austin/Kent
Heritage/Kent
Lawrence/Lincolnshire and Hertfordshire
Beaumont/Lincolnshire and Hertfordshire
Reeves/Kent
Rooker/Birmingham

Offline Jane Taubman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: changing from roots magic 4 to family historian 6
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 December 14 10:17 GMT (UK) »
There are some notes on moving to Family Historian from Roots Magic here:
http://www.fhug.org.uk/wiki/doku.php?id=how_to:import_from_roots_magic
Taubman, Mitchell, Purcell - Lancashire,
Couglan, Byrnre - Ireland
Mullins, Bowditch, Crabb, Record - Dorset

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 December 14 10:19 GMT (UK) »
Why not give the 30 day trial a go?

http://www.family-historian.co.uk/downloads/free-30-day-trial

Then, as Jane says, follow the advice on the FHUG Forum and see how you get on.  You can then, if you are happy, purchase a licence direct from FH which is cheaper than the retail packs.

Personally, although I'm still using FH5, I much prefer it to Roots Magic and Family Tree Maker, both of which I've used in the past.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline rosijayne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 28 December 14 10:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the advice, I have read the FHUG forum notes, and seemingly if my file has rmgc ? ( which it does, I have checked, ) it is easy just to transfer it across.  I might give it a go ......

Thanks

Gill
Fill/Field-Kent       
Hayward/wilts
Wood/Kent
Shoesmith/Kent
Andrews/Kent
Austin/Kent
Heritage/Kent
Reeves/Kent
Rooker/Birmingham

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 28 December 14 14:24 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the advice, I have read the FHUG forum notes, and seemingly if my file has rmgc ? ( which it does, I have checked, ) it is easy just to transfer it across.  I might give it a go ......

The .rmg extension mentioned on the Family Historian page was used in RootsMagic v.1-3. RM v.4-7 uses .rmgc so it looks as though you'd need to use the GEDCOM transfer route - unless the latest version of FH is different and that particular help article hasn't caught up yet.

Arthur
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosijayne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 28 December 14 15:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Arthur, I have muddled my way through this now, I created a gedcom, and then  was in fear of 'exporting' , as I imagined everything disappearing into cyber space! :o

However, managed to create the gedcom and moved it into Family Historian 6 trial.  I am sure it will work well, just seems a bit daunting at first as it is so different to RM 4.  I will persevere with this trial, just as well they offer 30 days free!

Gill
Fill/Field-Kent       
Hayward/wilts
Wood/Kent
Shoesmith/Kent
Andrews/Kent
Austin/Kent
Heritage/Kent
Reeves/Kent
Rooker/Birmingham