Author Topic: James Wade - conviction Leicester 1849  (Read 4643 times)

Offline Truebrit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • View of Hinckley - 1791
    • View Profile
James Wade - conviction Leicester 1849
« on: Thursday 01 January 15 21:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am wondering whether anyone has access to a newspaper report on a conviction of a James Wade in Leicester in 1849.

He appears to have a chequered history of crime - with criminal references in 1834, 1843 and 1849.  Are there any newspaper articles associated with these as i am trying to establish if there is a connection with this person?

In 1849 he was convicted of handling stolen meat and sent to Western Australia for 14 yrs transportation, on board the Mermaid.  From a brief convict reference i have noted on line there is an indication that he was married with 3 children and that he got a conditional pardon in 1856.

I am trying to establish if there is anymore detail associated with this individual as i know that some convict records often state names of family members or other personal details, which if found may help me with my research?

Also is there any evidence that he returned to Leicester?

I can see a James Wade living in Wellington Street Court, Leicester in 1881 (a Woolcomber), listed as married although no family is with him.  I cannot find this person on earlier census (except 1841) - can anyone else spot him so that i can either rule him out or research him further?  That James appears to die in 1890.

Any help appreciated.

Regards

TB

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: James Wade - conviction Leicester 1849
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 January 15 10:36 GMT (UK) »
There numerous reports of James Wade in the local papers. The following are brief extracts of some of them:-

Leicestershire Mercury 3 Dec 1836 - William Pole, Robert Sharman, John Lewitt, and James Wade were charged with breaking the shop window of Mr. Cooke, Belgrave-gate, and stealing several articles therefrom, and also... etc.

Leicestershire Mercury 7 Jan 1837 - POACHING. Three youths, named William Poole Thomas Chamberlain, and James Wade were charged with using snares for the purpose taking game on Mr. Keck's land at Knighton. The charge being proved... etc

Leicester Journal 30 March 1838 - James Wade, charged with stealing stockings from the shop of Mr. Pollock, in the High-street; the evidence appeared insufficient convict and was discharged.

Leicestershire Mercury 31 March 1838 - James Wade, Belgrave-gate, a well-known character charged with stealing two pairs of stockings, the property Miss Jesse Pollock,... etc.

Leicester Chronicle 19 May 1838 - James Wade, of Bedford -street, was charged with offering a copper tea-kettle for sale under suspicious circumstances, and was discharged... etc.

Leicestershire Mercury 22 Sep 1838 - James Wade and William Hart were charged by John Clay, servant to Mr. Marshall, of Stocking Farm, near Leicester, with stealing about... etc.

Leicester Journal 28 May 1841 - W. Richardson and James Wade, were charged with being found the premises of Mr. Birkley, with intent to commit a felony. Committed for one month to hard Labour.

Leicester Chronicle 29 May 1841 -  Wm. Richardson and James Wade were charged on suspicion of a felonious intent on the premises of Mr. Bucknall, in the North. They were two old offenders... etc.

Leicestershire Mercury 14 Jan 1843 - James Wade, John Henson, and John Castle, charged with stealing watch and other property from the dwelling-house of Mr. Dilkes, Bath Street, were committed for trial.

Leicester Journal 20 Jan 1843 - James Wade, John Castles, and John Henson, remanded from Tuesday last, were again brought up a charge stealing, on Sunday evening last... ...Committed for trial.

Leicester Chronicle 21 Feb 1846 - W. Berry and James Wade were charged with taking turnip tops out of a field belonging to Mr Cooper of Enderby, on Thursday night. They were seen and taken at the time; and were sentenced to one month each in the House of Correction.

Leicestershire Mercury 21 Feb 1846 - William Berry and James Wade, two young men who, from their haggard and impoverished appearance, seemed to have had but little more substantial food... etc.

Leicestershire Mercury 19 Dec 1846 - Alfred Holyoake and James Wade were charged with assaulting and robbing Mr. Davis, landlord of the Black Lion, Belgrave-gate, on Saturday night. - Mr. Bell appeared for the prosecution... etc.

Also in Leicester Chronicle 19 Dec 1846

Leicester Journal 24 Dec 1847 - James Wade, William White, and George White were charged with damaging holly trees at Groby, the property of the Earl of Stamford and Warrington. To pay 6s 8d. each, including costs.

Leicester Journal 31 Dec 1847 -

Leicestershire Mercury - 1 Jan 1848 - Night poaching on the Earl of Stamford's land near Bradgate on 24th inst. Three months' imprisonment to hard Labour.

The whole of the articles can be found on the British Newspaper Archive

David

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 January 15 11:17 GMT (UK) »
Leicester Chronicle 28 July 1849 - front page.

The paper reports that he was charged with breaking open the house of Richard Pratt of Wanlip on 22 December 1848 and stealing 180lb of pork and 20lb of beef. Quite a lengthy report of the trial.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 January 15 11:20 GMT (UK) »
The report mentions Wade's house in Orchard Street

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 02 January 15 11:32 GMT (UK) »
I had also just found the above and it mentions that it was received by Lawrence Grain.

He also appears on the transportation register but, although the offence was the same date, he was not transported until 1854 on the 'Ramilies'.

David

Offline Truebrit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 02 January 15 11:39 GMT (UK) »
Thank-you both.

James Wade is looking like quite a character.  I had originally been struck on his son James Moulding who was born illegitimately in 1841, and baptised as James Moulding Wade.  With the help of other Rootschat members i established that the father James Wade (who i am now researching) married the mother Elizabeth Moulding in 1845 and then we found the family on the census' although under what i thought to be aliases.

In 1851 the head of the Family was Benjamin Brown with wife Elizabeth and children James, Edward and Caroline.  Benjamin is born in Wigston.  In 1861 they were under Benjamin Wade and Elizabeth in Sheffield with several other children, before reverting back to Browns in Leicester in 1871 and 1881.  Son James Moulding was also a criminal character, giving me the leads above!

I am now wondering if James Wade actually was transported in 1849 following the meat stealing incident and that wife Elizabeth 'shacked' up with Benjamin Brown for the rest of her life.

The 1849 article or transportation papers may help me to identify names of other members in his family.  Certainly from one of the convict paper transcripts it says he is married with three children, which ties with the above. Is this his wife Elizabeth and children James, Edward and Caroline.....

It also says he was pardoned in 1856.  I wonder therefore if he made his way back to Leicester?

On his marriage certificate it says he is a Woolcomber.  I have found a James Wade, Woolcomber in Leicester in 1841 and interesting i have found a James Wade Woolcomber of about the right age in 1881 living in Leicester, also a Woolcomber.  That James Wade is listed as married although is not living with his family.  He later dies in Leicester in 1890.  I cannot find a James Wade on the census' in between - is this because he was the person who was transported in  1849..........

The background above may help further to outline what i am trying to establish although any help appreciated.

Regards

TB

Offline Truebrit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 02 January 15 11:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The convict database details for the James Wade tried in 1849 were taken from this link and are as follows:

http://www.fremantleprison.com.au/Pages/Convict.aspx

Convict Database

WADE, James
Convict No   278
Ship Name   Mermaid
Ship Arrival Date   7 May 1851
Birth Date   1816
Marital Status   Mar 3 chn
Occupation   quarryman
Literacy   semi lit
Religion   Prot
Sentence Date   1849
Sentence Province   Leicester
Sentence Country   England
Length of Sentence   14yrs
Crime   receiving stolen meat
Ticket of Leave Date   16 Nov 1852
Conditional Pardon Date   Aug 1856
Known Areas   Perth, Bunbury
Comments   Worked for self 1852

There are hopefully more documents to further detail the above.

Regards

TB

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 02 January 15 11:52 GMT (UK) »
Just noting that the woolcomber in the 1841 census was in the House of Correction at the time

Offline Truebrit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 02 January 15 12:11 GMT (UK) »
Thank-you

And looking at the map of Leicester, the family seem to be in the Belgrave Gate area - with Belgrave Gate, Britannia Street, George Street and the Orchard Street stated above all mentioned on census and bmd documentation.

James Moulding Wade was born in Olives Hole (Hall?) Leicester - which sounds a bit like a Womens House.

Regards

TB