Author Topic: The on going saga of the Christies of Logie Pert...  (Read 1693 times)

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
The on going saga of the Christies of Logie Pert...
« on: Saturday 03 January 15 14:53 GMT (UK) »
I'm sure Agatha Christie must be related to this lot!  I've not added to the "James Christie the Tailor from Montrose" as that thread is so long. The link is below if anyone should want an extended read about the lost James Christie.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=670347.msg5167716#msg5167716

Also, this is by way of an update I'm not looking for any more info on this family!

Way back when Monica found James's brother Thomas with wife Ann Alexander and three children living Edinburgh way. Thomas and Ann got married in Perth in 1855 - parents for Thomas listed as James Christie and Ann Paxton so we have the correct Thomas. This morning I found the three children in 1871 but no parents.  I now know (kerrchink) Thomas died in 1867 of typhus. From the SP index it looks like Ann also died in 1867. Just for good measure 1867 is also the year Ann Paxton slits her own throat!

So, the children Annie 11, Elizabeth 8, and Thomas 3 are with an Elizabeth Bain and her children in 1871 living at 16 Charles Street, St Giles, Midlothian.  The orphans are showing as 'cousins' as Elizabeth's son Thomas is down as head of household. Turn's out an Elizabeth Christie married George Bain in 1846 in Burntisland.  :o

On the OPR for the Burntisland marriage is says married at 'Logie' by Rev Thom Hill...To eliminate Logie, Fife, Perthshire etc...I checked the Fasti for Logie Pert and at that time the Reverend was Thomas Hill :). Talk about round the houses.

Elizabeth died in 1881 and her parents are listed as James Christie and Ann Stephens. (Would you believe it the entry directly below Elizabeth's is for someone called Paxton!).

George Bain never appears on a census with Elizabeth - perhaps because he's a ship's carpenter? By 1861 she lists herself as a widow with 5 children but from the 1871 census there would appear to be a daughter Jemima born in 1864. The three children of Thomas and Ann are all still living with their cousin Robert Bain in 1881.

I'm thinking, if James Christie was ever contemplating a return to Scotland the events of 1867 might have put an end to that.

Jen

North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir