Author Topic: John Barnes born Westbury workhouse 1840  (Read 3311 times)

Offline Barnes Boy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Barnes born Westbury workhouse 1840
« on: Monday 05 January 15 12:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I have a mystery as well with the Westbury workhouse. A relative John Barnes was born there in 1840. The father was John Barnes and mothers maiden name was Ann Meadows. I have a birth certificate confirming this. I found a marriage of a John and Ann Meadows in 1833 in Rothwell,Northhants. I cannot find any record of them in the census after this date. John jnr. later married Victoria Sandoe from Cornwall and lived in Reading ,Berks. On Ancestry it shows John snr marrying another person and moving to America. It shows John snr. having a middle name of Porch which doesn't show up until he goes to America! 
Can anyone make sense of this for me as I'm very careful of what I believe on Ancestry unless I see the records in print.
Also I cannot find a birth record of Victoria Sandoe, b 1837 to William & Harriet Sandoe although they are in the census records 1841 -51.
Any help appreciated.
Barnes Boy

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Westbury workhouse.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 January 15 13:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Barnes Boy

Welcome to rootschat  :)

It is quite likely that Victoria Sandoe's birth was not registered.  Registration did not commence until
mid 1837.

This could however be her sisters
Births March qtr 1840
Sandoe    Sarah Ann   
Falmouth    9   87
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Westbury workhouse.
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 January 15 13:19 GMT (UK) »
A relative John Barnes was born there in 1840. The father was John Barnes and mothers maiden name was Ann Meadows. I have a birth certificate confirming this. I found a marriage of a John and Ann Meadows in 1833 in Rothwell,Northhants. I cannot find any record of them in the census after this date. John jnr. later married Victoria Sandoe from Cornwall and lived in Reading ,Berks.

I can see John Jnr with Victoria in 1871 and later - also with a Maria (presumably the same as person as 1871) in 1861.  Do you have him before this on census

Have you looked into the possibility that John Snr died and Ann remarried  :-\

Offline Barnes Boy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Barnes born Westbury workhouse 1840
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 January 15 01:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rosie99
Thanks for reply. Yes I have census from for Sandoes 1841 on (From Cornwall OPC). In 1851 they were in Old Bridge st ,Truro.
Victoria was 13 years old.
In 1841 it shows William Sandoe in gaol and Harriet head of house. Victoria is 4.
After Victoria their are Sarah ,b 1839 Mary,b1843 and Hannah b 1847. The older brothers William b 1833,and Enoch b 1835 are registered.
There are 2 older sisters Harriet b 1828, Elizabeth b 1830.
On Victoria's grave stone it gives her full name as Victoria Anne Marie Barnes ,died Aug 3rd 1898,aged 62.
I cannot find a marriage certificate for John and Ann Meadows either. As John was born in Dec 1840 if they were married I assumed it was before this. GRO cannot find it either, nor can they find the birth cert. for Victoria.
Any help from you or anybody else gratefully accepted.
Barnesboy

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Barnes born Westbury workhouse 1840
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 07 January 15 08:01 GMT (UK) »
Although registration started mid 1837 it was not unusual for births to be registered.  It was not until the late 1870's that the system was tightened up and the total responsibility for registration lay with the parents.