Author Topic: Rickmansworth nonconformists - 18th & 19th centuries  (Read 1783 times)

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rickmansworth nonconformists - 18th & 19th centuries
« on: Sunday 11 January 15 13:05 GMT (UK) »
I seem to remember reading somewhere that the chilterns were a hotbed of nonconformity in the 17th century, and that Rickmansworth in particular had a strong nonconformist tradition.

Did this continue into the 18th & 19th centuries, does anyone know?

I am finding that the parish registers hereabouts are very good right back into the 16th century (with the normal disruption during the Commonwealth period) - but every so often one of my Rickmansworth family lines just goes completely cold, with no baptisms at all to help me along the way.

I am assuming (for want of any better working hypothesis) that I am hitting pockets of nonconformity (there are still Baptists in these family lines into the 20th century) ... and that immediately begs the next question: have the nonconformist records from Rickmansworth survived in the RG4 series or elsewhere?
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright