Author Topic: Available Wesleyan Methodist Records for Saint John, New Brunswick  (Read 1466 times)

Offline wagb278

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Available Wesleyan Methodist Records for Saint John, New Brunswick
« on: Tuesday 20 January 15 22:16 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know if Wesleyan Methodist church records for Saint John, New Brunswick are available for the period of approximately 1832 - 1869? And if so, how would they be searched?  Who to contact, etc.?

I'm looking for information on William Irving/Irvine family (1st wife Jane and children Sarah and James).  Government records for this time period were lost in the Great Fire (1877).  So I was thinking maybe church records survived.  Both children were born I think in 1835 and hopefully baptised then.  Maybe William married Jane a few years before 1835 and there might be church a church record of that marriage.  Mother and both children died in 1867/1869 and William remarried (Anna Seely) in 1867 for which we do have the church marriage record.  At the time we did not realize there was a first marriage so didn't look for any church records for that earlier marriage.  William (and we believe daughter Sarah) is buried in the Wesleyan Methodist Burial Ground in Saint John.

Now I don't even know who to contact to search the church records, if they exist.  Suggestions?

Thanks