Author Topic: Thomas Brooks - did he marry in Sutton on Hull c1871-1876?  (Read 4693 times)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Brooks - did he marry in Sutton on Hull c1871-1876?
« on: Saturday 07 February 15 03:36 GMT (UK) »
Having ruled out a possible lead in Liverpool with the help of two fabulous RC members I'm now turning my attention to Sutton on Hull & surrounding area in the search of the first wife of Thomas Brooks some time after the 1871 census but before his 2nd marriage as a widower in Stockton, Durham in May 1877.

Thomas was b 1847 Stockport, Cheshire but by 1861 he & his family were living in Sutton where his father (also Thomas) was an Engine Tenter. RG 9; Piece: 3575; Folio: 77; Page: 13

By 1871 Thomas was in Liverpool, where I thought he had married, but having drawn a blank there I've traced one of the witnesses to his 1877 marriage back to Sutton so am now thinking he may not have stayed long in Liverpool after all.  The witness was Ambrose Bottomley who in 1861 was a Cotton Throstle Doffer in Hull and by 1871 (spelt Bottomly) was an Oil Miller in Sutton.   When Thomas married Jane Jackson in Stockton in 1877 his occupation was also Oil Miller. 

I'm not too familiar with the area but I've found two possible marriages in Sculcoates: 1871  to Mary Elizabeth Hare Or Elizabeth Wood or 1874 to Sarah Blossom Or Ann Alice Fenton, but so far have not been able to find which, if any, of these is correct, nor a likely death for any of the potential brides. (Deleted as information incorrect :-[ )

Can anyone help?  Previous thread to avoid duplication of effort: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=712084.0

As an aside, Jane Jackson's father and brother were also Oil Millers, so one thing that puzzles me is why any of them would move from an area where I gather it was a thriving industry to the Durham/North Yorkshire border?  I'm only aware of one business in the area at that time - The North of England Pure Oil Cake Company (1869-1903) - so it seems like quite a rash move.  Can anyone shed any light on any events in the industry that might perhaps narrow down a timeframe for the move?

Many thanks in advance for any help.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Brooks - did he marry in Sutton on Hull c1871-1876?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 February 15 17:37 GMT (UK) »

now turning my attention to Sutton on Hull & surrounding area in the search of the first wife of Thomas Brooks some time after the 1871 census but before his 2nd marriage as a widower in Stockton, Durham in May 1877.

Thomas was b 1847 Stockport, Cheshire

I'm not too familiar with the area but I've found two possible marriages in Sculcoates:

1871  to Mary Elizabeth Hare Or Elizabeth Wood or
1874 to Sarah Blossom Or Ann Alice Fenton, but so far have not been able to find which, if any, of these is correct, nor a likely death for any of the potential brides.

Can anyone help?  Previous thread to avoid duplication of effort: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=712084.0

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Looking at FreeBMD the surname of one of the males on both those Sculcoates marriage dates
is Thomas JACKSON and not BROOKS  ???

Have you tried FreeBMD for births & deaths together, a mother & child may have died in the same quarter ?

What about a marriage of one of Thomas' siblings - a long shot but perhaps they witnessed a marriage

This might be Enoch's (from Yorkshire BMD)

1875 BROOKS   Enoch   TULLEY   Sarah   Sculcoates Register Offices or Registrar Attended
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 February 15 17:54 GMT (UK) »
Looking at FreeBMD the surname of one of the males on both those Sculcoates marriage dates is Thomas JACKSON and not BROOKS  ???

Oops  :-[  Guess that's what happens when you try & keep going after 3am.  Lesson learned  :-X

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try widening the search and see if anything turns up.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline rolnora

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 08 February 15 12:43 GMT (UK) »
After searching and searching for a marriage for Thomas 1871-1877 and finding zilch I began to think that just maybe he had married before the 1871 census that his wife had died and that was the reason for him moving to Liverpool. I know that the 1871 census has him unmarried but could that have been a mistake  ::)
I started to search a couple of years earlier and came up with a marriage for…..
Thomas Brookes aged 21 father Thomas and
Selina Donohue aged 20  father Frank
 Marriage 22 Aug 1868 at St Paul's Parish Church Sculcoates.
Then searching deaths on Freebmd I found a Selina Brooks age 20 died Dec Qtr 1868 Sculcoates 9d 113.
I can't find an on line copy of the marriage cert to check any further and of course I might be clutching at straws and completely wrong, what do you think? I think it could be worth considering   

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 08 February 15 14:50 GMT (UK) »
Firstly thank you so much for all the searching on my behalf, I really appreciate it as its been driving me nuts (hence the sitting up at 3am despite my brain ceasing to function!).

I hadn't considered that he may have married before 1871, but that marriage does look very interesting and certainly far better than anything I've come up with so far.  I will definitely look into it some more and post an update either way.

Many thanks again

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 08 February 15 15:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi again it does look interesting - I was just checking out Selina

This looks as if it might be her on 1861 census
 Selina age 12 transcribed as Cecilina Donehue born c 1847 Hull living parish St Mary’s Sculcoates with widowed mother Mary born Ireland sibling James born Stockport
1861 RG 9; Piece: 3582; Folio: 61; Page: 7

1851 HO107; Piece: 2361; Folio: 180; Page: 5 – Selina age 2 Sculcoates Yorks with mother Mary plus  6 siblings who are all born Stockport

1841 HO107; Piece: 113; Book: 3; Civil Parish: Stockport; County: Cheshire; Enumeration District: 3; Folio: 12; Page: 16 Living Bear Hole Brow Stockport - Head is Francis surname transcribed as DONOCHO

Might be worth checking to see if the Brooks are neighbours of the Donohue family

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 08 February 15 20:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi again

Thanks for that extra information. Very interesting that the Donohues were also in Stockport at one point - I wish there was an emoticon for being excited  ;D

I cant find the families as neighbours at any time, but as the census only gives us one night out of every 10 years that's not too surprising I guess.

I'd been trying to avoid ordering certificates but as this one has got under my skin I cant resist & will post an update once it arrives.

Many thanks again to you both.

Offline rolnora

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 09 February 15 09:40 GMT (UK) »
I'm so pleased that your ordering the marriage cert, I only hope it's correct and that I'm not wasting your money ::)
To add a bit more weight to this theory, I think that Selina probably died in childbirth. There is a birth reg Freebmd Dec Qtr 1868 for Alice Ann Brooks this would tie in with the time of Selina's death.
Then a death reg March Qtr 1869 so the child must have lived for a little while after the death of her mother.
Good enough reason in my view for Thomas to move away.

Offline rolnora

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 09 February 15 10:21 GMT (UK) »
I cant find the families as neighbours at any time, but as the census only gives us one night out of every 10 years that's not too surprising I guess.
Bearhole Brow where the Donohues lived in 1841 was mostly inhabited by Irish Catholics and they will have been living in wretched conditions, it should have been named Hellhole Brow  :(
If I have the correct record the 1841 census shows Thomas Brooks, not yet married to Ann Shepley, they married in 1843 and I have the details if you need them, as a grocer in Park Street. This street was and still is in Stockport Market Place and Bearhole Brow wasn't far away.Maybe they used the shop to buy groceries.