Author Topic: Thomas Brooks - did he marry in Sutton on Hull c1871-1876?  (Read 4679 times)

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Brooks - did he marry in Sutton on Hull c1871-1876?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 09 February 15 19:05 GMT (UK) »

I'd been trying to avoid ordering certificates but as this one has got under my skin I cant resist & will post an update once it arrives.

Fingers crossed that it turns out to be the correct Thomas Brook(e)s

If I have the correct record the 1841 census shows Thomas Brooks,
not yet married to Ann Shepley, they married in 1843.

Cheshire BMD http://www.cheshirebmd.org.uk/index.php
gives their marriage place as St Mary Cheadle

Cheshire OPC has the following details married by Banns on 04/03/1843,
both made their mark (X)
Thomas Brookes 34, WR( widow) occ engineer, res. Edgy
Grooms father John occ brewer

Ann Shepley 30, SP (spinster), res. Edgy
Brides father James occ Spinner

Witnesses William Brookes (x), Geo Smith

Here’s the link so you can re check details http://cgi.csc.liv.ac.uk/~cprdb/

from 1871/76 census
Thomas & Ann’s son Enoch born c 1851 Stockport
his mother’s maiden name Shepley
(see Cheshire BMD – also  Thomas & Ann 1846-1850 same mmn)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 09 February 15 20:44 GMT (UK) »
If I have the correct record the 1841 census shows Thomas Brooks, not yet married to Ann Shepley, they married in 1843 and I have the details if you need them, as a grocer in Park Street

I hadn't yet confirmed Thomas in 1841 and suspected he may have been married previously, which the marriage record found by Ladyhawk would seem to confirm.  I'm a little thrown by him possibly being a grocer though as on all other records he has been involved with Engines of some sort, but I'll do a bit more digging on that one.  I have a whole day off tomorrow so that's something to keep me occupied - the ironing can wait a few more days  ::)

I think that Selina probably died in childbirth. There is a birth reg Freebmd Dec Qtr 1868 for Alice Ann Brooks this would tie in with the time of Selina's death.
Then a death reg March Qtr 1869 so the child must have lived for a little while after the death of her mother

Looks like a damn fine theory to me, especially as Thomas's sisters were Alice & Ann  :)

It definitely feels like its all coming together, thank you both so much.  I think I'm going to be stalking the poor postie until I have the marriage certificate in my sticky little hands  ;D
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 14 February 15 15:18 GMT (UK) »
After searching and searching for a marriage for Thomas 1871-1877 and finding zilch I began to think that just maybe he had married before the 1871 census that his wife had died and that was the reason for him moving to Liverpool. I know that the 1871 census has him unmarried but could that have been a mistake  ::)
I started to search a couple of years earlier and came up with a marriage for…..
Thomas Brookes aged 21 father Thomas and
Selina Donohue aged 20  father Frank
 Marriage 22 Aug 1868 at St Paul's Parish Church Sculcoates.
Then searching deaths on Freebmd I found a Selina Brooks age 20 died Dec Qtr 1868 Sculcoates 9d 113.
I can't find an on line copy of the marriage cert to check any further and of course I might be clutching at straws and completely wrong, what do you think? I think it could be worth considering   

The certificate has now arrived and shows Thomas as a 21-year-old Oil Miller living at Gibson Street, father Thomas Brookes, Engine Driver, so its definitely my man.  Selina was living at Flag Square, father Frank Donohue, Tailor.   The death of Selina Brooks along with the birth & death of Alice Ann within months of the marriage must surely be them too.  Thank you so much for finding all this Rolnora.

The 1841 you found for Thomas Snr as a Grocer in Park Street must be correct too - I'd forgotten that in 1851 he was a Provision Dealer, although the 1843 marriage Ladyhawk found describes him as an engineer so maybe he was a frustrated inventor working out of the back of the shop!  He certainly went on to work with engines, so it must be him.   The 'not born in county' had also thrown me but I've brushed up on my boundaries since then and think the 1810 baptism in Old St George, Stalybridge, Lancs is probably him.

Once again, thank you both so much for your help - I would never have got there otherwise.

Jomot
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline rolnora

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 14 February 15 16:36 GMT (UK) »
A great big sigh of relief from me  Jomot ;)
I am so pleased it turned out to be the correct one.  ;D

You could be correct about the Stalybridge baptism but I would be happier if I could read the place of birth for Thomas Snr in the 1851 census.It says Cheshire something dale but I can't make out the other word,
have you deciphered it?

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 14 February 15 17:13 GMT (UK) »
That's what I've been puzzling over for much of the last week. I thought maybe it said Ashton / Ashtondale, which is what took me to Ashton Under Lyne & from there Stalybridge, but I think that's more wishful thinking than anything else. 

Now its the weekend and I have a bit more time (theoretically anyway ;) ) I was going to see if I could come up with anything more likely, failing which I'll ask for help on the deciphering board.

Offline rolnora

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 15 February 15 17:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jomot,
I've just been reading your post on the deciphering board, what a great result  :)
Haughton didn't cross my mind and it should have done, I have ancestors born Haughton. ::)
 It borders Stockport so makes perfect sense. :)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 15 February 15 18:10 GMT (UK) »
Yes, great result all round on both Thomas Jr & Sr. :)
Just shows how brilliant this site is  ;D