Author Topic: Annitsford ?,Northumberland~ FRANCIS  (Read 2728 times)

Offline Damselflypearce

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Annitsford ?,Northumberland~ FRANCIS
« on: Tuesday 05 July 05 07:23 BST (UK) »
I am looking for the birth of Maryann Bowden/Bawden Francis b.abt 1872
 Father John Bawden Francis b. 1846 Sithney, Cornwall .Mother Ann Goldsworthy b.1847 Breage,Cornwall. I have found her in the 1901 census as wife (age 29) of John Pearce b.1870 Helston  but nothing before this time. I know she had a older sibling Margret b.1870 which I found in the 1871 census with mother and father in Breage. I guess I'm confused as to why she would have been  born in Northumberland.
Thank you in advance for any information you can help with.
                                                                                Damselflypearce   ???
Pearce, Prisk , Jennings, Francis ~Cornwall, England<br /><br />Pearce, Sliger, Vreeland, ~Michigan, USA<br /><br />Von / Van Schlitzer   ? ~ Germany

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
Re: Annitsford ?,Northumberland~ FRANCIS
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 July 05 08:25 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Found birth  Mary Ann B Francis   Dec Quarter 1871 Tynemouth  10b 187

1891 census RG12/1839 fol.141 p.21
Porthleven Sithney Cornwall
John B Francis   Head Widr  46  Coal Carrier   Sithney Cornwall
Mary A B    "     Daur  S       19 Dressmaker   Annisford, Northumberland
Eliza            "    Sister  S        37       "             Sithney, Cornwall
John Pearce    Visitor  S       21   Groom          Helston Cornwall

Not sure if this is the right family:
1881 census RG11/2319 fol 72 p.7 all born Penryn Cornwall
West St, St. Gluvias. Cornwall
John 36
Lavinia 32
Mary Ann  13
John Henry   7
Joseph James 5   

Still looking, hope this helps for now, Barbara   
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 July 05 09:18 BST (UK) »
Mary Bowden Francis married John Pearce
 Sep Qu 1891 Helston 5c 269
(from FreeBMD)
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline nort

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 July 05 21:17 BST (UK) »
Hi
When the Cornish copper industry began to decline the men went to work in the coal mining districts of Britain and some came to work in the Northumberland and Durham collieries in the 1860s and 70s.A lot of them stayed and there are still Cornish surnames in this area but others must have returned to Cornwall.This is probably the reason your Mary was born in Northumberland.
regards
Nort
Northumberland-Brown,Mitchell,Pattison,Clough,Gleghorn,Roseby,Sanderson,Southern,Elliott,Gray,Green,Dobson,Bell
Durham/Northumberland-Mellanby
Cornwall-Chenhall,Bodinner
Fife-Mitchell,Gourlay,Dryburgh

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Damselflypearce

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 July 05 02:30 BST (UK) »
Thank you Barbara for the information, the 1891 census with John Pearce would be the correct one. Also John b would be her father. This also settles the question of her middle name of Bowden / Bawden with the marrage of John Pearce.
Nort Thank you for clearing up my confusion . Must have been hard traveling with a year old child and a possible one on the way.
                                                 Damselflypearce ( Sandy)
Pearce, Prisk , Jennings, Francis ~Cornwall, England<br /><br />Pearce, Sliger, Vreeland, ~Michigan, USA<br /><br />Von / Van Schlitzer   ? ~ Germany

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 July 05 08:57 BST (UK) »
In the late 19th century there were so many ex-Cornish miners living in  Annfield Plain (County Durham) that the area they lived in became known as 'Cornwall',and was listed as such on the 1881 census.

JenB
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk