Author Topic: Heading to your message  (Read 2327 times)

Offline Emjaybee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Yer I be again
    • View Profile
Heading to your message
« on: Monday 19 July 04 15:39 BST (UK) »
If members were more precise with message headings - e.g. BEARD seeking family in Malvern area -  Rather than Seeking family .......
those of us who troll the message boards looking for people to help would have a much easier job.

I do hope you will not think me too bossy, but I just like to offer help where I can.

Mike
Beard Voyce, Scrivens in Worcestershire

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
Re: Heading to your message
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 July 04 19:10 BST (UK) »
Have to agree with Michael.  If you are seeking help, please make the subject line STAND OUT, that way someone will spot it.  The thing that triggers me to stop and look at a message is the COUNTY name, so a good idea to include that 8)

No, Michael, you're not being bossy, I think it's common sense.

Jane
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching BRABY/BRAVERY in SURREY and SUSSEX

PLEASE use the look-up requests page not a personal message.

Offline Black Sheep

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 July 04 20:16 BST (UK) »

Hello Jane and Mike,

You are quite right, I think people who put a good heading get a quicker response.

I keep a look out for counties and areas that I know very well or subjects that interest me whatever the area....workhouses etc :)

Sarah
Robinson, Roberts, Roles, Griffiths, Walton, Royle, Chorlton,
Mott, Jones, Greenway, Morris, Bates, Mackay, Colley, Wagstaffe, Rickwood, Winston, Sockett, Bates, Haylock, Winston, Cleminson, Goodwin, Sockett, Bevan, Williams, Bell, Johnson and Dearson.

Offline Kazza

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking into Holes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 19 July 04 20:24 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Absolutely right.  Especially for census requests.  As new counties are added to our offers,  I often trawl through looking at the subject headings.  Those without the county included get missed.  Also one of our looker-uppers has told me they do the same,  therefore,  no county = no look-up.   :'(

Kazza.
Welsh Lass
Surname interests:
Clementsten, Hobson, Hole, Marden, O'Clements, Pitten, Sharland, Vickery (Vicary), Williams.

Area Interests:
Cardiff, Bampton, Bideford, Crediton, Wollaston, Somerset, Tidenham, Norway, Australia to Bristol.