Author Topic: Muckethill versus Markethill, East Kilbride  (Read 1861 times)

Offline brucecumming

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Muckethill versus Markethill, East Kilbride
« on: Monday 09 February 15 19:35 GMT (UK) »
I downloaded some birth OPR records from East Kilbride for children of 3X great grandparents James Cumming and Agnes Craig. The three records from 1825 to 1829 say the location was "Muckethill". The book on the history of Rutherglen and East Kilbride has Muckethill in the list of place names. Separately it also has an entry for Markethill.

Looking on an old map, I see a Markethill farm or location perhaps half a mile north of the town of EK.

There is a fair bit written about the location Market Hill being used as a temporary market place due to a plague in Glasgow. There is very little about "Muckethill" out there though.

My question is, does anybody know if "Muckethill" is just an alias for "Markethill". If not then where was Muckethill?

My ancestors would have been tenant farmers I am guessing. The previously were on the Cathkin estate in Carmunnock parish.

Thank you.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Muckethill versus Markethill, East Kilbride
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 February 15 20:03 GMT (UK) »
The three records from 1825 to 1829 say the location was "Muckethill". The book on the history of Rutherglen and East Kilbride has Muckethill in the list of place names. Separately it also has an entry for Markethill.

Is this David Ure's 1793 history? Both Markethill and Muckethill are mentioned under "A TABLE containing the Names of the most remarkable Places in the Parish. This would appear to imply separate places - but mention of Muckethill, as you say, as rare as hens' teeth at the moment

Offline brucecumming

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 February 15 20:24 GMT (UK) »
Is this David Ure's 1793 history?

Yes, that is the book I was referring to. As you say the fact that the entries are separate would imply that the two places are distinct.

Thank you.

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 February 15 23:02 GMT (UK) »
They are two places.

Markethill was just north of the town.
Muckethill Farm was south of town just north of Torrence.

http://maps.nls.uk/view/74400128

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline brucecumming

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 February 15 02:23 GMT (UK) »
They are two places.

Markethill was just north of the town.
Muckethill Farm was south of town just north of Torrence.

http://maps.nls.uk/view/74400128

Don

Thanks a lot Don. I had looked at the 1859 Ordnance EK map 17 from ScotlandsPlaces and Muckethill was not on there. Looking at the 1832 map you linked to and the 1859 map, it appears like Muckethill might be where "Lower Backrow" was in 1859.

This all fits together given that Agnes Craig was born at Backrow farm according to the OPR birth record.

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 10 February 15 04:06 GMT (UK) »
There was always two farms at Backrow but Lower Backrow (north) was in ruins by the latter part of the century.

Muckethill was on the east side of the road across from Lower Backrow adjacent to to Startuphill and Kilknowe. These three seem to have been left in ruins or demolished.  They were very small holdings.

However, all these listed here and many more farms in this area would have been part of Torrance which totaled some 2,274 acres.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.