Author Topic: The Last Will and Testament of William Patteshall of the Parish of Puddleston in  (Read 770 times)

Offline EHDD

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I have finally managed to transcribe the Will of my ancestor William Patteshall who died in 1592. Some words have proved particularly difficult to interpret but attacking the document again after a lapse of several months has seen further victories over some of the more stubborn words.
I set out below extracts from the original Will with my transcription appended below. I would be more than pleased if those researchers with a greater knowledge and experience of late Tudor legal documents can verify the accuracy of my transcription and perhaps confirm my interpretation of the words/phrases underlined.

i)   therefore first of all after thanks given to Almighty God for his great benefits desire(?) and pray(?) my wife and children and all other of my kin to be content and satisfied with this my Will and Testament without troubles business or protestation of any of them against the other for whatsoever is herein devised or bequeathed of my goods or inheritance I may freely so give and dispose the same at mine(?) sound will and pleasure and to avoid all controversy or strife I revoke and renounce all Wills and Testaments here before made by me by word writing or otherwise.

ii)   Item I give and devise the one moiety or half of my goods chattels plate and household stuff unto my wife for and during her natural life so that she shall have some other sufficient surety(?) be bound after my decease unto my executors in the sum of xxx? pounds to leave the same moiety or one half of the said goods chattels and things or the value or the price thereof unto Marie Patteshall and Jane Patteshall the daughters of her and me and the other moiety or half of all my goods chattels plate and household stuff I give and devise to the sole intent and purpose hereafter following.

iii)   Item whereas the interest(?) in my Indenture bearing date the fourteenth day of October in the xxxi? year of the reign of our said Sovereign Lady Queen Elizabeth according to a promise or cause therein are by me revoked rescinded(?) and altered for all the lands tenements and hereditaments in Standon Danburie (Danbury) Little Baddoe (Little Baddow) Thaxted and situate(?) in the county of Essex or elsewhere in England with their appurtenances which lately were(?) unto Thomas Patteshall late of Thaxted aforesaid gent deceased and which did devise…..

Helen

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Will and Testament of William Patteshall of the Parish of Puddleston in
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 February 15 00:07 GMT (UK) »
I believe the words/phrases underlined in red are (in order) ...

vexac(i)on
   occasions
   suerties (= sureties)
   Uses in my
   wimbushe (= Wimbish, Essex)

I'm sure your interpretation of the sense of the will is essentially correct, but it’s standard practice when transcribing to reproduce exactly what's written, and not to modernise spelling or capitalisation. It’s also easier to keep your place if you transcribe line by line, starting a new line in the transcription to match each new line in the original.

I've had a go at re-transcribing the third extract for you, hopefully answering your queries along the way.  :)
============
Item Wheareas the Uses in my Indenture bearinge date the fowerteenth
daie of October in the xxxith yeare of the raigne of our saide soveraigne Ladie queene
Elizabethe accordinge to a premise or clause thearein are by me revoked chaunged and
altered for all the landes tenementes and heriditamentes in Standon(?) Danburie litell
Baddow Thaxted and wimbushe in the Countie of Essex or ells wheare in Englande
with theire app(ur)tenaunces w(hi)ch latly weare unto Thomas Pateshall late of Thaxted
aforesaide gent’ deceased and w(hi)ch did discende reverte remaine or come to ...
============

ADDED - also in Extract 1 ...
freelie soe give and dispose the same at mine owne will and pleasure ...

Offline EHDD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Will and Testament of William Patteshall of the Parish of Puddleston in
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 February 15 13:38 GMT (UK) »
I am extremely gratefully for your most helpful reply which has certainly enabled me to increase the accuracy of my version of the Will. I will certainly take your suggestions on board when transcribing any such documents in the future. In relation to my ‘modern interpretation’ I have a couple of further queries principally relating to a list of debts owed by and owing to the Testator which I will post on the Forum at a later date.

Helen