Author Topic: Groark in Swinford  (Read 2494 times)

Offline cheerio6400

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Groark in Swinford
« on: Wednesday 18 February 15 20:41 GMT (UK) »
I am just beginning my search for ancestors in Ireland, so please bear with me...

Michael Groark was born about 1853 in Ireland, and left for Philadelphia in 1872.  According to his 1907 obituary his parents were John and Bridget Groark, late, of Swinford.  I have located a John Groark in Griffith's Valuation of Cuillaun, Parish of Kilconduff: 

http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml?action=doNameSearch&Submit.x=22&Submit.y=6&familyname=groark&firstname=john&baronyname=GALLEN&countyname=MAYO&unionname=SWINEFORD&parishname=KILCONDUFF

John appears repeatedly in the valuation with a Laurence Groark and a Bridget Groark.  Having seen this, I'm not sure where to go next to determine whether these are my Groarks.  I do see a listing for a John Groark (1823-1871) in Swinford in the Civil Registration Deaths Index.  If I can obtain this record, is it likely to give his wife's name, or any other clues as to whether this is the right John Groark?  Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Groark in Swinford
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 February 15 21:04 GMT (UK) »
A death certificate will only have the person who died and the informant. Who may or may not be a family member.
Have you a marriage cert for Michael, some states have quite good info on parents.
These births may interest you.
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ers/
Worth taking note of at least.

Offline cheerio6400

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Groark in Swinford
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 February 15 01:34 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.  Unfortunately, I don't have a marriage record.  It looks like civil marriages for Philadelphia are currently being indexed for FamilySearch, so maybe I'll find something once those become available.  I don't think parents' names were being recorded at the time, but I'll have to wait and see.  Thanks again!