Author Topic: Is there a Latinist out there?  (Read 772 times)

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Is there a Latinist out there?
« on: Wednesday 18 February 15 20:46 GMT (UK) »
My family motto is 'Nec temere, nec timere' - though I have seen other versions (such as ...'nec timide'), which I'm fairly sure are erroneous. In my far-off school days I was taught some Latin, and think that 'temere' and 'timere' are both verb infinitives, the first meaning 'to frighten' and the second 'to be afraid'. So - the motto would mean something like 'Neither to cause fear in others, nor to live in fear' (the Latin, of course, far more succinct and elegant). I'd be grateful if someone with a sound command of Latin could let me know whether I am right, or whether I have the sense badly wrong. With thanks in anticipation ...

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a Latinist out there?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 February 15 20:57 GMT (UK) »
There's a wiki page for the motto!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nec_Temere,_Nec_Timide

Neither rashly, nor timidly

Presumably you have it on an achievement of arms (aka Coat-of-Arms) attributed to the Buckley family?

Which you can only lay claim to if you can trace your male lineage back to the person awarded the arms & motto! ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a Latinist out there?
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 February 15 21:15 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply - though I'm fairly sure that 'timide' is incorrect. Some years ago in Manchester Central Ref, in a volume of the Chetham Society journal, I found the Buckley motto to be as I stated in my posting - not 'timide' but 'timere'. The sense of both versions is very similar, of course, but it would be good to know which is the right / original  / correct Latin version.