Author Topic: Request look-up of St Nicholas church, Nottingham parish register  (Read 2396 times)

Offline marp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Request look-up of St Nicholas church, Nottingham parish register
« on: Thursday 19 February 15 10:23 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone have access to the PR of St Nicholas church, Nottingham?   I would like to check on  the marriage of William Horsley and Mary Woodhouse.   I have already checked with Phillimore's parish register but no parents are listed on that.

The marriage took place on 17 Nov 1744.   I am particularly anxious to learn the names of the fathers of William and Mary and whether or not they were from Nottingham.

Thank you,
marp

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Request look-up of St Nicholas church, Nottingham parish register
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 February 15 10:33 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I cant help specifically.
However just warning you not to get your hopes up, as marriage records of that era rarely show fathers name.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline willsmum

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 February 15 10:55 GMT (UK) »
The only details given -

William Horsley parish St Nicholas, FWK, aged 30 bachelor.

Mary Woodhouse parish St Mary's, aged 30 spinster.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.UK

Offline jimbohodge

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 February 15 11:01 GMT (UK) »
The family are from Denby in Derbyshire  ;)

Offline marp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 20 February 15 09:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for this information which was helpful.   I have been puzzling as there was a William Horsley bap. 1714 in Denby and another in 1718 also in Denby.  Different fathers of course.   It looks as if the marriage to Mary Woodhouse might well be to the William baptised in 1714.

I agree that William Horsley's family were from Denby,  Derbyshire but still have to track Mary Woodhouse.

Thanks for the information.

marp

Offline JonBoody

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 06 May 21 13:27 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I am working with a very similar problem with the same Horsley family of Denby, and I was wondering if you had made any additional progress on this. I am trying to determine the parents of a Thomas Horsley of Denby, and I have two options, both born to the same parents as the two Williams, one in 1712 and one in 1713. There appears to be only one Thomas having a family later on in Denby, so the other either died young, and the record was lost in the somewhat illegible church book, or moved far away. I am hoping a relative’s will or some other hints might help clear this up.

Another confusing mystery is who Thomas married. There is a marriage record for a Thomas Horsley and an Elizabeth Horsley, both of Denby, in 1751 in St. Nicholas Church in Nottingham (seems like the go-to place for this family). Based only on transcribed records online, the only Elizabeth Horsley in Derbyshire at that time was the sister of the 1714 William Horsley of Denby, and a first cousin of the 1713 Thomas. It was more common and more acceptable for first cousins to marry back then, so that is definitely plausible. The challenge though is that this marriage took place six years after a Thomas and Elizabeth Horsley started having children in Denby. I have not been able to locate any other marriage or death record to indicate another couple of the same name or a previous marriage to another Elizabeth in or near Denby. Is it possible they could have had a relationship and three children for six years before being married in 1751, or is it more likely I am dealing with lost or non-transcribed records with this?

Any thoughts, suggestions or leads on this would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Jon
McGreal, McLaughlin in Co. Leitrim, Ireland.
Turner, Webb, Wilson, Cooper, Gilbert, Nadin, Repton, all in the Burton-Upon-Trent vicinity.