Author Topic: Somlawkusnen, Stow  (Read 3645 times)

Offline suek2075

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Somlawkusnen, Stow
« on: Sunday 22 February 15 17:28 GMT (UK) »
I have a Lauder family who lived at Somlawkusnen, Stow in 1841. I can't find anywhere like this on old maps - anyone know if this is actually a transcription error, or know where this place might be please?

Thanks
Sue
Keddie, Hutson - Scottish Borders and Edinburgh
Menzies, Montague - Penicuik and Castle Douglas
McEvoy, Cavanagh - Ireland

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Somlawkusnen, Stow
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 February 15 17:40 GMT (UK) »
Almost certainly a  transcription error, but original images can only be see on ScotlandsPeople which costs credits..... where are they in subsequent censuses?

ADDED: I had a look for something possible here without success:
http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=15&lat=55.67994&lon=-2.82998&layers=6
but there is a Hawksnest so possibly South Hawksnest  ???
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 February 15 19:19 GMT (UK) »
Which Lauder family please.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline suek2075

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 February 15 20:12 GMT (UK) »
Josey - unfortunately I have nothing for 1851 - in 1851 his family were in Stow but he wasn't with them. In 1861 and 1871 he's in Nenthorn, in 1861 with his family after his father's death and in 1871 he's married to Margaret Keddie. He hasn't showed up in my searches for 1851 but it's possible I need to search more on name variants ::)

Don - William Lauder was born about 1835, the son of George Lauder (b abt 1801) of Westruther and Elizabeth Kelly. William Lauder later married Helen Murray from Dumfries. George's children were John, Charles, Elizabeth, George, William, Mary, Jane, Margaret and Helen. Is that enough info?

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 22 February 15 22:06 GMT (UK) »
They are in the 1841 but under Stow Midlothian.

The farm is called Trinlaysknow and it is adjacent to Laidlaysteel (which is the only way I could find it), west of Galasheils http://maps.nls.uk/view/74400287 To me it looks like the enumerator gave up and just scribbled away.

There is George 40, Betty 40, Betty 10, George 8, William 6, Mary 4, at what looks like he wrote  another George 2.  No John or Charles.

Send me a PM with your email and I'll send you the entry.

Don

I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline suek2075

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 23 February 15 11:05 GMT (UK) »
Don thank you for your help. I've checked the details you gave me and found them on Graham Maxwells Ancestry site, which I saw mentioned in one of the topics on here  - I love that site, I can go right through the local area and see who lived nearby without paying for hundreds of entries. I ought to have shares in Scotlands People really! I think it might have answered another of my questions about a family in Burnbrae as well. Difficult to see how Trinlaysknow becomes Somlawkusnen, but there you go. Your help was much appreciated.