Author Topic: Looking for Esther Blount, circa 1777, possibly Great Glen or close by  (Read 3132 times)

Offline Carolyn Roberts

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for Esther Blount, circa 1777, possibly Great Glen or close by
« on: Monday 23 February 15 01:22 GMT (UK) »
My 4x Great Grandmother Esther (Easter/Hester) Blount married Robert Grant in the village of Great Glen, Leicestershire on 2nd November 1798. She was buried on 11th March 1861 apparently aged 82. I believe she was born between 1776 and 1779, and the later Census entries say she was born in Great Glen. There are Blounts and Blunts in Great Glen, and in the adjacent village of Burton Overy too, going back to the sixteenth century, but I can't find any information about an Esther's birth. The only one I have found is an Esther Blount born 18th August 1777 in Nottingham, but that looks unlikely because noone else seemed to marry people from so far away. Can anyone help me with a search of some local parishes? I'd be incredibly grateful???

Offline gena47

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Esther Blount, circa 1777, possibly Great Glen or close by
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 February 15 14:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi had a look for you on the discs I have but can only find their marriage. Sorry x
Wycherley - Shropshire / Yorkshire
Ecclestone - Shropshire / Yorkshire
Cartwright - Leicestershire / Yorkshire
Baker - Shropshire / Yorkshire

Offline Carolyn Roberts

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 February 15 15:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, that's really most kind. Could you just fill me in on exactly which discs you consulted, please? Then I can rule them out...

I also note that both the first name and the surname is spelt in so many different ways - Easter, Esther, Ester, Hester, and Blunt, Blont, Blonnt, and so forth. Would this make any difference when you searched, do you think? Or does the power of the human brain automatically pick this up? !  :D

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 23 February 15 18:43 GMT (UK) »
I have problems with tracing family in Gt Glenn at this time too. It seems that the relevant couple (mine) married in 1798 in GG then disappeared for several years; there are no baptism registrations until 1811, a date which ties in with the yob given for that child on subsequent censuses, then they had several more children. I can't see any reason why they would have had no children for the first 13 years of marriage and then several, so I think they must have moved away then come back (and they don't have an unusual enough surname to track them elsewhere).

The 1798 bride seems to have come originally from near Rugby. Her parents MAY have moved from the wider Rugby area to GG as adults. Certainly some of the next generation married and worked in Rugby and Bilston.

So what I'm saying is --- I don't find it entirely unlikely that your ancestor could have moved from Nottingham. People moved around more than we sometimes suppose. I also wonder about the completeness of the GG PRs.
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 23 February 15 19:18 GMT (UK) »
Looking at the Notts CDs, Esther was the daughter of Joseph and Hannah Blount; bapt Notts St Mary18 Aug 1777. There is no corresponding burial but there is a marriage of Esther Blount in 1790 in Sutton in Ashfield and another Esther Blunt m in Radford in 1829.

Joseph and Hannah's children are listed as follows, maybe the names might help link them with your Esther?
1768 12 14   Sarah   NOTTINGHAM St Nicholas   
1772 11 04   Martha   NOTTINGHAM St Peter    (Joseph listed as FWK)
1775 04 26   Ann           Notts St Mary
1777 08 18   John           ditto
1777 08 18   Esther   ditto

1784 02 04   Joseph   father Joseph   BLOUNT   but mother Elizabeth   and at St Peter instead         

1785 02 19   William   father Joseph   BLOUNT   but mother Sarah - St Peter again         

There's no obvious marriage listed for Joseph and Hannah, but this may well be Joseph's baptism
1748 01 25   Joseph   father Benjamin   BLUNT   mother Esther            NOTTINGHAM St Mary   
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)

Offline Carolyn Roberts

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 23 February 15 21:01 GMT (UK) »
That's really helpful, and thank you so much for looking! :)

The names of Joseph and Hannah's children have some resemblance to the names in my family in Great Glen, but probably not so much as to be conclusive. I have Johns, Williams, Annes and Sarahs. But not many Josephs or Marthas. So.....

I am still somewhat inclined to think that my Easter, who later on had a longstanding lodger living with her and her husband Robert Grant in Great Glen, was a Leicestershire person. The lodger was called John Blount, born a few years later (and I assume he must have been Esther's brother, or possibly a cousin). Both Easter and John record Great Glen as their place of birth in the 1851 census records. Though as both of them were recorded as 'paupers' there is, I suppose, a faint possibility that they simply said 'Great Glen' to avoid being sent on somewhere else. Easter's husband had died by 1851, and things look to have been pretty bad for them.

I have been looking at the Blount family in Great Glen and Burton Overy, an adjacent village, and have found a lot of them going back to the sixteenth century, but there is no mention of an Esther or Easter anywhere in those records. I used a file I bought online from Parish Records. So perhaps Easter didn't come from those parishes. I have found the name of Easter amongst the many Blounts who come from Wymeswold, in the north of Leicestershire, so I suppose that's a possibility too, though I have not bought the file for that. There seem to be hundreds of Blounts there! I am contemplating looking through the parish records of other local Leicestershire villages such as Stretton, Kibworth, Fleckney, Carlton Curlieu, Saddington and Newton Harcourt, in case somehow it has been missed, though again I have not bought the files for those. Another relatively unusual christian name in the family later was Judith, and I found one of those in Waltham-on-the Wolds, again in North East Leicestershire, but back in the early 17th century! If anyone has ideas on those, I'd be most interested.

Again, I am interested in your commentary on the state of the parish records in Great Glen. There was also, of course, a nonconformist tradition, though Easter had her children christened in the CofE.

Anyhow, that's sufficient to have bored you, I am absolutely sure!

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 23 February 15 21:08 GMT (UK) »
I've just had a look on the noncon Leic registers and there are quite a lot of Blunt/Blount baptisms, but none for Esther.

there are 3 in Gt Glenn in the 1830s, to parents John and Catherine, if you want any of those details.
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)

Offline gena47

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 24 February 15 11:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi,  I just looked at my PR for Aylestone and Blaby that I purchased from http://leicestershire.webs.com/  and also the Leicester Project  that has quite a few parishes on.

I do not know if this might be any good to you but I also purchased a Surname Search from http://leicestershire.webs.com/ when I was stuck with my Cartwright. It does cost £50 but she will send you a list of one surname from all the parishes she has transcribed.  She asked me for all the variants to look up as well.. Hope you find who  your looking for. Gena
Wycherley - Shropshire / Yorkshire
Ecclestone - Shropshire / Yorkshire
Cartwright - Leicestershire / Yorkshire
Baker - Shropshire / Yorkshire

Offline willsy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 24 February 15 20:54 GMT (UK) »
Here are a lot of records for Wymeswold

http://www.hoap.co.uk/who/localhisregister.htm

should keep you occupied a while!