Author Topic: James Hannon, Maria Giles, Ellen Scanlon  (Read 6123 times)

Offline Neko

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
James Hannon, Maria Giles, Ellen Scanlon
« on: Monday 19 July 04 18:49 BST (UK) »
I have been told that James Hannon was born in Co. Meath. we don't know where Maria was born.
they m. 26 Jun 1851 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA.
James parents are said to be John and Margaret. we know nothing about them.
James had 4 children by Maria before she died around 1861. they were;
James Francis, Jonathan D., Thomas and Daniel
James married Ellen Scanlon of Co. Clair and they had 9 children, of whom I only know William, Ellen, Mary and Richard.
James Francis is my husband's great grandfather.
we are interested in hearing from any relatived regarding this family.
Airey Aitken Atkinson Alston Barr*tt Cross Freeman Gage Harlock Harris Hawkins Head Hudd Parker Peckover Pennington Rayner Richards Seaman Smith Smyth Waterfall

Elizabeth Burnham, Mary Church, John Davis Cooper, Hannah Cork, Aubrey Cross, Mary J. Docwra, Elizabeth Griffiths, Chas Halifax, John Head, Lavinia King, Mary & Martha Mayhew, Alfred Augustus Mayo, Wm Pettit, Hezekiah Richards, Martha Sewell, Rebecca Sidnell, Hannah Smith, Augustin Smyth, Annie Southan, Catherine Till/Tell, Fanny Watt

Offline Ticker

• User is no longer receiving email notifications.
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Follow me on twitter @ShaunTymon.
    • View Profile
Re: James Hannon, Maria Giles, Ellen Scanlon
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 January 05 00:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Neko

Sorry we haven't been able to help you so far on this one. 

Have you made any progress,  or do you have any further details that could help someone to find what you are looking for?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes 

Ticker
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Neko

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 November 05 00:02 GMT (UK) »
no, no progress. Irish records aren't easy for me to access and I caannot afford the fees of the RO so I wait for records to come online. they elude me still sometimes, when they get in some esoteric file instead of a clearly named one...
I'm in Oregon, USA
Airey Aitken Atkinson Alston Barr*tt Cross Freeman Gage Harlock Harris Hawkins Head Hudd Parker Peckover Pennington Rayner Richards Seaman Smith Smyth Waterfall

Elizabeth Burnham, Mary Church, John Davis Cooper, Hannah Cork, Aubrey Cross, Mary J. Docwra, Elizabeth Griffiths, Chas Halifax, John Head, Lavinia King, Mary & Martha Mayhew, Alfred Augustus Mayo, Wm Pettit, Hezekiah Richards, Martha Sewell, Rebecca Sidnell, Hannah Smith, Augustin Smyth, Annie Southan, Catherine Till/Tell, Fanny Watt

Offline MikeW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 September 06 21:41 BST (UK) »
Only just noticed this.  The name Hannon can be found in the records for Kells, Co. Meath (Griffith Valuation, 1850s),  and there was a "Hannon's Hotel" in the town around 1800 (building later became a Masonic Hall, and is now a Credit Union). If they were RC they may appear in the RC church records (from 1791); or Protestant, in the C. of I.  records, from the 1770s. I think I saw a Hannon gravestone  in the C.of I.  churchyard....would have to check.
                          MikeW.

Offline Neko

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 September 06 06:40 BST (UK) »
thank you, Mike,
this is very helpful information.
I don't have access to Griffith's Evaluation any more, at least, not through the site I used to look at it...it's been a while and I don't recall who has it.
as far as I know, all of my mother in law's ancestors were R.C. that hopefully will make the research easier, in one way....

Offline MikeW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 23 September 06 19:52 BST (UK) »
Go to 'Irish Resources' (on Rootschat)
then  down to Griffith Valuation,
then  click 'all records for one county' (Meath),
then  Kells......

Headfort Place and John Street addresses are the same building  -  its at the junction.  'Townparks ' simply means it was within the townland of Kells.
The other references are probably buildings/land owned by the same Thomas.

The Meath Heritage Centre   (Mill St.,  Trim ,  Co. Meath)  has the church records for RC and C.of I., but they're not cheap for information (nor always accurate).   If you have fairly accurate dates, it might be  better  trying the actual parish registers, in the parish...?
                            Mike.

Offline Neko

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 23 September 06 20:29 BST (UK) »
thank you for the further information, Mike.
unfortunately I have only "abt." dates, taken from American censi. and yes, Irish records are quite pricey.
there's a lovely research site online, haven't been to it in a while, but I found some of my mother in law's Ledwitches of Kildare through that site...will have to Google it, all I can remember is it had an Irish name, but can't recall what it was...anyway, enough time has passed that perhaps someone can advance the Hannon surname now...worth a look, anyhow.
Cornelia