Author Topic: Bigamy trial  (Read 5150 times)

Offline Nampa

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bigamy trial
« on: Friday 27 February 15 18:19 GMT (UK) »
Is there any internet source that can be searched for British bigamy trial records?  My grandfather appeared in a London court (likely Camberwell) around 1913/14 on a charge of bigamy.  He was spared jail on a promise of returning to my grandmother but abandoned her and his children some time in 1915.  I have found a record of him marrying again in 1926, bigamy again since he did not divorce my grand mother, but no record of this earlier bigamous marriage or anything between 1915 and 1926. 

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
Re: Bigamy trial
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 February 15 19:29 GMT (UK) »
It might be reported in the newspapers. If you can give us the names of the parties involved, someone can look.
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline Nampa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 March 15 15:17 GMT (UK) »
My grandfather's name was Arthur John Woodford who was married to my grandmother Eliza Jane (Cook) Woodford.  I do not have the name of the woman he was charged with marrying illegally.  This is part of the information I am seeking.  I suspect that any court case would have been heard in Camberwell as he was likely living in East Dulwich at the time.  Thanks for any help you might provide. 

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 March 15 23:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nampa,

Is this Arthur's marriage?

Marriages December Quarter 1899

COOK, Jane   
WOODFORD, Arthur
Registration District: Camberwell
Volume 1d
Page 1553

From the marriage certificate, what was Arthur's occupation?

Arthur enlisted for service in August 1915 and deserted in Oct 1915.  Have you seen his service records?  He seems a little confused about how many children he has.

Where are you getting your information from about the bigamy charges?  Are you confident that it wasn't the marriage to Jane which was the bigamous one?

Debra  :)

Offline Nampa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 March 15 05:28 GMT (UK) »
Thanks you for your response.  I know very little of my grandfather's history.  My father barely remembered him and only knew that he "disappeared" in 1915 when my father was about 6 or 7.  I had always assumed that his legal marriage was to my grandmother...perhaps it was not.   Arthur John and my grandmother had five children...not sure of the exact order but they were Robert, Bert, Emmy, Arthur Frank (my father) and the youngest Jack.  My father was not close to his siblings but a cousin, a daughter of Jack, was very close to Emmy who I think wad the oldest.  As part of our search to discover what happened to our grandfather my cousin recounted how Emmy recalled frantic search by her mother for her marriage certificate.  Accompanied by Emmy she went to the court where Arthur Frank appeared on a bigamy charge.  He was dismissed by the judge apparently with the admonition that if he appeared there again he would go to prison.  The upshoot of this was that together with my grandmother he returned to the Isle of Wight, where he was born and took a job there as a farm laborer living in a tied cottage that came the job.  Some short time later he abandoned my grandmother, leaving her with four children and pregnant with Jack who was born in 1915 in the Isle of Wight House of Industry. 

Together with my cousin we discovered that he married a woman named Palmer in 1926 and had a family with here.  He lived in the Tottenham area and apparently died in 1946.  All I know is that apart from working as a farm laborer he also worked as a waiter/cook.

I am not familiar with his army record and would very much appreciate those details.  His desertion does appear to be in character sadly.

Arthur John was born in Rookley, Isle of Wight in 1877 to William Woodford and Emma Phillips.

He wedding record of marriage to my grandmother would also be of interest and also any information of a possible marriage before that to my grandmother.  My father was, I believe, the fourth oldest child born in 1908.   Many thank for your help.

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 02 March 15 07:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nampa,

I think the easiest thing for you to do would be to take a short subscription to a commercial website such as Ancestry where you will be able to look at the original census and military records as well as criminal registers to 1892.  Most libraries also have free access if you are able to get to one.  Findmypast has word searchable British newspapers.

Arthur enlisted twice, once in 1915 and again in 1916 and deserted both times.  His records are amongst those that were partially burnt in WW2 but they are legible.  The marriage details given on both are identical.  In 1915 he named his children as Emily Annie (born 8 Oct 1902) and Bert Walter (born 21 October 1910).  There is a separation allowance document that states he had three children, but in reality it was four.  In 1916 he only named Bert.  I can't help thinking that Jane was still with him when he enlisted both times - it is very unusual for a man to be able to quote an exact marriage date and dates of birth for his children, especially at that time when so many people didn't even know their own birth details.  The separation allowance was paid to help support the family while he was enlisted and if they were no longer together I would expect him to say he was single.

The children in census order were Emily, Robert, Arthur and Bert (who is oddly incorrectly named as 'Sidney' in 1911).

Arthur was quite a handful  ;D  From census details provided in 1911 this looks to be him appearing at the Old Bailey in 1909:

http://www.oldbaileyonline.org/browse.jsp?id=t19090202-name-129&div=t19090202-31#highlight

The previous housebreaking offence mentioned at the end was in 1892 when he was a boy at the Isle of Wight - there were actually two larceny offences in that year (see criminal registers and newspapers).  I haven't been able to find a mention of the embezzlement offence.

The Old Bailey online records only extend to 1913.  If the bigamy trial took place in London then that is probably the first place to look but you would have to search in person.

National Archives Guide:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/looking-for-person/criminal-trial-or-conviction.htm

Records mostly describe him as a house painter.  I was unable to find them in 1901 after their marriage but I will speculate that they are the couple recorded as James and Jane WOODFORD living at Camberwell.  His birth details are incorrect but his occupation is given as Grill Cook. This may be an enumerator mistake or deliberate.  The main reason I thought it might be them is that they have a daughter Phoebe with them and that was the name of your Jane's mother.  Phoebe Jane was born in 1900 and died shortly after the 1901 census was taken.

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

Debra  :)

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 02 March 15 08:29 GMT (UK) »
If Arthur married someone before he married Jane, then only the first marriage was legal, and it would be the marriage to Jane that was bigamous?

The marriage in 1926 may be OK, if his first wife had died by then?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 02 March 15 08:39 GMT (UK) »
Debra
I think you are right about her Christian name, she seems to use Jane as her first name on census

I wonder if it was a register office marriage so no chance of a look at it

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Nampa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 02 March 15 17:29 GMT (UK) »
I cannot tell you how much I appreciate the information provided.  I have discovered a poor quality copy of Arthur and Jane's marriage certificate.  It is a Xerox copy sent me by my cousin.  It has clearly been folded numerous times which might indicate that it was the original  one perhaps owned by Jane (she did go by Jane and I can recall my father sometimes referring to her as Ginny).  The marriage took place at the Parish Church of Sty. Clement, East Dulwich November 19, 1899.  Arthur is listed as a bachelor aged 23 and with a profession as a cook.  His deceased father is listed as my great grandfather Robert William Woodford.  Robert William died one year after Arthur John was born and his mother never remarried though she had common law children.

I suppose the marriage to Jane could have been bigamous but perhaps naively I cling to the idea that at 23 it was likely his fist.  Jane was listed as 20.  On a visit to England a few years ago I did spend some time at the national records office in London and it was there that I discovered the 1926 marriage.  I did discard a record of a James Woodford prior to that but thought it unlikely. It is interesting that he appears to hjave used that name. But of course, someone engaged in such activities would be very clever at putting out confusing information.  Something I suspect was behind his number of children and names responses on military records.

I am puzzled over the information that he enlisted in the army in 1915, deserted, and then enlisted again in 1916.  Would he not still be wanted for desertion and the giving of his name expose him?  Puzzling.   

An interesting note.  When my cousin and I first uncovered what had happened to him, she made contact with his last family in Tottenham, London.  When she informed them of his bigamous past their only comment was: "That's not surprising.  He was always disappearing." 

I will try to check the sources provided and appreciate your continued assistance.  If family trees I have connected my line to are accurate it is a solid line at least back to 1300 and includes some notable connections.  But for some reason this "mystery" is one I cannot let go of