Author Topic: Westre sisters in Pleasant Valley, Clay county SD  (Read 2512 times)

Offline Jaba

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Westre sisters in Pleasant Valley, Clay county SD
« on: Wednesday 11 March 15 08:27 GMT (UK) »
John b. 1813 and Kristi Westre b. 1819 emigrated from Norway 1865 and settled 1875 in Pleasant Valley, Clay county, SD, later called Westreville after them. They had 10 children; Thomas, Mary (Johnson), Britha, Kristi Serina (Skonhovd), Jacob, John, Ingerid, Ragnhild, Henry and Christopher. I have found all the boys and Mary and Serina, but do not know what happend to Britha/Bertha born Dec. 28. 1841, Ingerid born September 18. 1850, and Ragnhild, born November 30. 1854. I do not know if they married and changed their name, or when they died. Anyone who could help me?
Jaba

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Westre sisters in Pleasant Valley, Clay county SD
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 March 15 19:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Certainly well hidden - Can see the parents listed on FIND A GRAVE - have you tried to get obituaries for them - just to see if it mentions the sisters ?

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=136689405&ref=acom

Have you approached Clay County Public Library or Clay County Historical Society to see if they could help ?

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Jaba

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 March 15 20:14 GMT (UK) »

Have you approached Clay County Public Library or Clay County Historical Society to see if they could help ?

Sandra
yes, I have tried the library, but not The society, I have also ben at both cemeteries in Pleasant Valley and cannot find any with their names, neither marked or not married. The Family came to Leland, Illinois, 1865, went to New Sharon, Malaysia, Iowa, before 1870 and to SD 1875. Bertha was then 24 years and could be marrried before the family arrived SD.
I have some obituaries from their siblings, but it gives no information about the sisters.

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 March 15 20:58 GMT (UK) »
both ancestry.com and familysearch.org have numerous Westre names on their sites. familysearch.org is free. For the latter click on "Residence" then  enter Westre, Clay County, South Dakota and the numerous pages will flow from there

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 March 15 21:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jaba,

That's not a good sign, if they are not mentioned in the obituaries of siblings.  You would think if Westerville was named after them, that there would be a lot of documentation. A lack of early census records for South Dakota.  Haven't come across anything in Iowa or Illinois so far but I expect you have already made extensive searches.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Jaba

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 March 15 21:45 GMT (UK) »
Done that barryd, but dont find these three girls. Dont think their name is Westre any longer.

Offline Priscilla

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 March 15 22:52 GMT (UK) »
Eccles (Hoylake / Exeter / Plymouth)
Hicks (Devonport, Plymouth)
Grafton (Exeter, Devon)
Harris (Marazion, Cornwall)
Collard (Yeovil, Somerset)
Johns (Devonport, Plymouth)
Lyle (Bude, Cornwall)

Offline Jaba

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 12 March 15 07:57 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if you have seen this ... ?

http://www.topix.com/album/detail/vermillion-sd/T7410F9TIV2NO5CG
Yes, Priscilla, I have. Thats my Picture and another attempt to find the Three sisters. I know from the obituary to their oldest brother Thomas that they died before him i 1917. I Guess their marriage register or dead report is the way to find them, but I have not managed yet.
jaba

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 14 March 15 18:50 GMT (UK) »
Did the obituary specifically mention that they predeceased him or did it just not mention them?