Author Topic: Birthplace given in 1861 Census: looks like Hermageham, Cheshire. Help, please!  (Read 10735 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Re: Birthplace given in 1861 Census: looks like Hermageham, Cheshire. Help, please!
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 19 March 15 15:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much, Rolnora and Lostris,
For supplying even more detail on that 1823 baptism, and almost certainly now (in my mind, anyway) pinpointing the place name that the enumerator struggled to write down in 1861 as Kermincham...
Keith

Offline Lostris

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • diebus numerati sunt
    • View Profile
Re: Birthplace given in 1861 Census: looks like Hermageham, Cheshire. Help, please!
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 19 March 15 16:08 GMT (UK) »
The 1881 census you referred to (St Johns Road) is for Thomas jnr - in March, not Ely .....

Thomas snr didnt make it to 1881 ...

Deaths Sep 1875   

LEA  Thomas  53  Chesterton  3b 298

nor his wife !

Deaths Mar 1875    

LEA  Sarah Ann  47  Chesterton  3b 402 

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 19 March 15 17:10 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, Lostris!
Of course I meant to say that the 1881 Census entry for Thomas G LEA (transcribed on Ancestry as SEA) was in March, not Ely.  There is a St John's Rd in Ely, too, which I know quite well, and a senior moment on my part.
I've also looked at the 1841 Census on Ancestry, and there's actually two Thomas LEA's of exactly  the same age, probably both rounded down to 15 years old.  One is the Thomas with his parents William the miller and Ann; the other is an individual who also has a miller as a father, a James LEA.  This last one is in Swettenham, the other in Great Budworth.  Should I still be wondering whether I've got the right family for Thomas LEA (senior)?
Keith

Offline Lostris

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • diebus numerati sunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 19 March 15 17:46 GMT (UK) »
a moot point !

Offline rolnora

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 20 March 15 08:23 GMT (UK) »
  Should I still be wondering whether I've got the right family for Thomas LEA (senior)?
Keith
Hello Keith,
The only way that you can be certain of the name of the father of Thomas Lea is from his marriage certificate. I can't see the marriage on line so unfortunately you would have to apply for it.
I think he married Sarah Ann Adams at Thetford Sept Qtr 1848.

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 20 March 15 10:07 GMT (UK) »
Rolnora,
You're quite right about that marriage certificate being vital!  Thetford seems some way from Cheshire, but families that were involved with members working on the railway did move around quite a bit, and March in Cambs is not far away, nor Brandon, where Sara Ann was born; and their first child was born in Norwich, all places quite closely connected by the railway.  I'll have a good think about this, but I think I'll bite the bullet and send away for that 1848 marriage certificate.  But, hang on, looking at the Census for 1851, isn't Thomas LEA still single, or am I looking at the "other" Thomas LEA?  Thoroughly confused now...!
Keith

Offline rolnora

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 20 March 15 10:50 GMT (UK) »
Yes, there is a Thomas Lea still single on the 1851 census.
He's a miller and living with his parents William also a miller and mother Ann.

If your quite sure that Thomas Lea Jnr who married Rebecca Betts is your ancestor and that his parents are Thomas and Sarah Ann then I do think that the 1848 marriage is the one you should be looking at to be certain of his father's name and occupation. :)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 20 March 15 11:14 GMT (UK) »
Rolmora,
Thanks so much for staying on the case!  And, yes, this is the correct Thomas G. LEA, who married Rebecca BETTS.  But I'm beginning to wonder now, if there is a Thomas LEA who is still single and living at home with his parents William and Ann in 1851, it would therefore have to be the Thomas LEA, son of James LEA, the "other" miller, who could have married in 1848.  I'm not entirely sure whether someone has already found him living somewhere in the 1851 with his recently married wife Sarah Ann - at the time that people were looking earlier it was simply a question of trying to identify his correct birthplace as in the title of this thread.  I'll have another look, but maybe we've now eliminated one of the Thomas LEA's, and that 1848 marriage certificate will indeed show his father to be a James LEA, miller.  I think that Swettenham was the parish in the 1841 Census where a younger Thomas is with the LEA family headed by James, so that's a further pointer, I think, from what other kind Rootschatters have discovered and posted on her.  Sometimes it's difficult to spot the significance of certain things that people turn up for you, straight away…
Keith

Offline Lostris

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • diebus numerati sunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 20 March 15 13:22 GMT (UK) »
I'm not entirely sure whether someone has already found him living somewhere in the 1851 with his recently married wife Sarah Ann

Yes - Rolnora found that 1851 with the young couple TL & Sarah Ann - in Great Yarmouth   .... twas the 3rd version of the unusual Cheshire PoB  .... so looks like its coming together nicely with the other candidate still being at home with parents ...