Author Topic: BERWICK, Wavendon  (Read 2272 times)

Offline Petros

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
BERWICK, Wavendon
« on: Thursday 19 March 15 14:02 GMT (UK) »
my 5 x great grandfather John BERWICK (BARWICK) appears to have been born in Wavendon in 1764 to Thomas & Mary.

His first child Thomas was born there in 1790 after he married Martha (Possibly THAME) before they moved to Husborne Crawley. I've been unable to identify either marriage or any siblings of John.

Any suggestions?

Offline flateric999

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BERWICK, Wavendon
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 March 15 21:13 GMT (UK) »
Yep, got him via familysearch.... I see your problem, nothing is coming up easily is it.?

So what facts do you actually know? What industry or trade did he or the family do? Are any other Berwicks born locally if you do a surname search?

If you are local the library at MK will have parish records for Wavendon.

Mike

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 20 March 15 22:18 GMT (UK) »
If you aren't able to visit the Archives at Aylesbury or, as flateric999 suggests, Milton Keynes library, Buckinghamshire Family History Society do provide a search service which is reasonably priced but covers the whole of the county.

http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/index.php/database-searches
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 March 15 06:28 GMT (UK) »
John BARWICK of Waverton Parish Married Martha TAME, 14 June 1789, St Mary of the Assumption , Moulsoe, Buckinghamshire.
(FreeREG)

Other Marriages same Church;
Elizabeth TAME/James LICHFIELD 20 Oct 1789
Sarah TAME/Thomas SMITH, 4 Aug 1797

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Petros

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 March 15 08:11 GMT (UK) »
Trish
Thanks for that marriage record, for some reason it is not in the IGI transcript.

Mike
I've had little joy in finding info on the family except that James is later described as of independent means. His surviving son (by his second wife) was a baker in Husborne Crawley. I know there are others of the same surname in the Newport Pagnell area but have not managed to (yet) find any connection and Bucks archives lacks any relevant wills.

Offline flateric999

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 22 March 15 08:38 GMT (UK) »
The techniques i used won't necessarily work for everyone. In 1790 Bucks was a selection of small villages so you would need to look at villages adecent to Wavendon and work outwards. You "might" find groups of similar names some of which might relate to your family. 

The trade your family was in would often be followed through generations, up until industry and rail travel opened new opportunties, so you may find similar trades follow the family line.

It makes sense that looking at old maps might give you clues as the local big towns like Bedford, Newport will have roads through villages like Wavendon.

Of course a lot of this is guesswork, you might find family, equally, you might not!!

Have you looked at Ancestry, or similar? looking at other trees can often open new lines of enqiury, many will be wrong but some will be right and again could give you clues where to look.