Author Topic: O.Connor family Athlone  (Read 3430 times)

Offline lawcarr1956

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
O.Connor family Athlone
« on: Thursday 26 March 15 23:08 GMT (UK) »
Looking for help in tracing O'Connor family. Thought I had found them last year but not the right family.
Peter O'Connor born c1896, father Joseph O'Connor. Believed to have brothers Paddy and Tom.
Peter married Mary Gately 1920 and gave his occupation as Soldier and living in Creagh.
I have marriage cert and Irish Army papers for period 1922-1924.  Peter believed to have died in London possibly during 1970-1980.
As I cannot find his birth record or family on census' am unable to trace other army records or correct death records.
Any help greatlfully appreciated

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: O.Connor family Athlone
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 March 15 08:16 GMT (UK) »
There is a Peter O'Connor wife Mary, age 28 Gives his home address as Courtdevenish in the 1922 Army Census.

http://census.militaryarchives.ie/pdf/Custume_Barracks_Athlone_Page_76.pdf

Offline lawcarr1956

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 March 15 09:43 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for taking the trouble to reply, however, I already  have this piece of information. It is the man that I am looking for.
I contacted the army and they sent me some paperwork but it only gives the above information and a date of discharge from army.
I know that his wife and family lived in the soldier's cottages in Athlone and that he moved to England at some point.
What I really I need is information about Peter and his family prior to his marriage in 1920. I cannot find a Joseph in the census and as I don't know his mother's name or where they came from originally. Brickwall job!!!   
Found a Joseph with a son Peter in Cork but after a year of investigating discovered it was not the right family!
 Thanks again

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 28 March 15 09:34 GMT (UK) »
The only thing I can think of is the church register of the marriage. It might have more information than the civil cert.
If Joseph wasn't living with his family at time of the censuses (possibly deceased) there is no chance of finding them without the mother's name.

It's also possible they weren't in the country.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 28 March 15 13:38 GMT (UK) »
The Free State Army was set up in Jan 1922 so what army is he referring to in 1920 if he is a soldier ?

Offline lawcarr1956

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 29 March 15 20:17 BST (UK) »
That is the $1000 question! I have been trying to find out which regiments were serving in the area at the time but am struggling.
Went to Kew last summer but didn't have enough information to start a search. Needed the info that I am looking for before they could help!
There is a possibility he might have been in the 6th battalion R I Rifles or even Signals company  but this is unsubstantiated. 
Does anyone know if there was a place in Ireland called Kilumny/Kilumry? This is where he says he was born but cannot find out which county it was in
Thanks again for the responses so far

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 29 March 15 20:51 BST (UK) »
Could you post an image of that place name.
I'm thinking Kilcumny in Westmeath as a possible.

Offline lawcarr1956

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 29 March 15 21:26 BST (UK) »
This would fit with the information that I have. Unfortunately my IT skills are not the best and I do not have the skills to post/upload the page.
Where about in West Meath was this place in relation to Ahascragh and Creagh? I googled the name but didn't come up with anything.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 30 March 15 00:44 BST (UK) »
It's near Collinstown, just a bit South but I can't see any O'Connor or Connor there.
The only  Creagh I can see is in Co. Wexford, I can see a  Creaghduff in Westmeath.
The only Ahascragh I can see is in Co. Galway.

What records are all these place names coming from?

You might find the Search on this useful http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/