Author Topic: Separate Forums for Provinces ??  (Read 3974 times)

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Separate Forums for Provinces ??
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 31 March 15 06:39 BST (UK) »
Is it really worth the extra effort?
There have been 6637 topics posted on the Canada boards since RC began.

There are 12 English Counties with more than that!
And another 8 counties with 5000 topics or more.

8 Welsh counties (of 13) have more topics than Canada.

Ireland & Scotland each have a total of over 38000 topics - more than 6 times that of Canada.

So, in RootsChat terms, Canada is relatively small? :-\
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline jila

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 31 March 15 06:49 BST (UK) »
Yes, maybe there is not more topics because there is no Sub-boards? Is it that difficult to do?  It was just a suggestion to help people not to make things more difficult ..sorry

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Separate Forums for Provinces ?? or Sub-boards for Provinces
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 31 March 15 07:22 BST (UK) »
Okay..I guess what I meant was there could be "sub-boards" under Canada for the difference Provinces and territories..Like there is for England ..Example : like Kent , Suffolk, Yorkshire etc..

J

Ten Canadian provinces, fifty US states and six Australian states.  And they each have several large territories, as well.  It just isn't feasible. 

They already have sub-boards on here for England, Scotland etc ..not sure why it would not be possible?

Well, I am a very frequent RChatter on the Australia Board.  And, most of my replies on that board are for historical matters in the 19th Century.   Like Canada, like NZ, Australia was in the British Empire.  And, yes, there's SIX British Empire colonies that make up Australia, one that makes up NZ, and of course, Australia is a federation of those six colonies.     I seem to remember from school days that Canada got its self government in 1867 and was then divided up into Provinces.  And known as a Confederation.   Whereas Australia was six separate colonies federated into one colony in 1901.  So, Canada was a Confederation and Australia was a Federation and NZ was neither as it was one colony across a number of islands. 

In all of those instances (Canada, Australia, NZ) how likely is it that even within one generation, people moved between the different localities in each of those arbitrary geographical territories?  If so, (and in Australia's and NZ's cases, there's definitely plenty of movements) then I cannot see any benefit in forming child boards.    Plus, do not overlook the practicals that KGarrad has noticed.... the usage simply does not support it.

In my instance (and I know it is replicated over and over in Australia).... in one generation, one of my family starts out in NSW in 1810, moves south as settlement spreads, and by 1840 is in the south west of NSW.   That territory then is hived off to become the colony of Victoria.   Same deal with another line,  NSW and to VDL (now called Tasmania) .... I also have a family moving from NSW to Queensland, but at that time Queensland had not yet been hived off from NSW.    In fact New Zealand was not formally hived off from NSW until 1840.     

When were each of Canada's provinces formed .... I mentioned earlier my own school girl history says 1867 .... is this a significant date, or simply a poor memory on my part?

In any case, where are the early records for Canada .... and are these separated in each Province, or perhaps does each Province replicate the foundation records ? 

ADD
So the resources for NSW include Archives that cover each of the territories that later became hived off.   ;D 

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 31 March 15 07:51 BST (UK) »
This question has popped up before, and also on the australian board.

RootsChat started life as a forum for ancestor research in the U.K. and Ireland.  The "foreign" boards were added gradually, as more and more members joined RootsChat and the "traffic" in foreign countries grew and grew.

More boards means more work for the forum software, which affects RootsChat performance (i.e. RootsChat slows down  !! :( )  In the last few few years, I have added a board now and then, but usually only after reorganising other boards, so that I could delete a few and replace them wih the new boards, and after discusssion with the administrators.

Even adding a single board means thinking about the performance, so for this reason, there are no plans to add lots of "State boards" to USA, Canada and/or Australia.

One idea I suggested in a previous discussion about this, was to add the state or state code at the beginning of a topic title.  Sorting topics alphabetically would then at least group topics from the same state together.

State codes are standardised for USA. How about Canada and Australia ? I asked this question when I was programming the Surname Interests Table (SIT) but I've forgotten the answer.

In the SIT I use the following codes
Code: [Select]
   //   County List:  AUS Australia

$county_names[AUS][0]  = "                       ";  $county_codes[AUS][0]  = "";
   $county_names[AUS][1]  = "New South Wales        ";  $county_codes[AUS][1]  = "NSW";
   $county_names[AUS][2]  = "Queensland             ";  $county_codes[AUS][2]  = "QLD";
   $county_names[AUS][3]  = "South Australia        ";  $county_codes[AUS][3]  = "SA_";
   $county_names[AUS][4]  = "Tasmania               ";  $county_codes[AUS][4]  = "TAS";
   $county_names[AUS][5]  = "Victoria               ";  $county_codes[AUS][5]  = "VIC";
   $county_names[AUS][6]  = "Western Australia      ";  $county_codes[AUS][6]  = "WA_";
   $county_names[AUS][7]  = "Aus. Capital Territory ";  $county_codes[AUS][7]  = "ACT";
   $county_names[AUS][8]  = "Jervis Bay Territory   ";  $county_codes[AUS][8]  = "JBT";
   $county_names[AUS][9]  = "Northern Territory     ";  $county_codes[AUS][9]  = "NT_";

//   County List:  CAN Canada                                                           

$county_names[CAN][0]  = "                          ";  $county_codes[CAN][0]  = "";
   $county_names[CAN][1]  = "Ontario                   ";  $county_codes[CAN][1]  = "ON_";
   $county_names[CAN][2]  = "Quebec                    ";  $county_codes[CAN][2]  = "QC_";
   $county_names[CAN][3]  = "Nova Scotia               ";  $county_codes[CAN][3]  = "NS_";
   $county_names[CAN][4]  = "New Brunswick             ";  $county_codes[CAN][4]  = "NB_";
   $county_names[CAN][5]  = "Manitoba                  ";  $county_codes[CAN][5]  = "MB_";
   $county_names[CAN][6]  = "British Columbia          ";  $county_codes[CAN][6]  = "BC_";
   $county_names[CAN][7]  = "Prince Edward Island      ";  $county_codes[CAN][7]  = "PE_";
   $county_names[CAN][8]  = "Saskatchewan              ";  $county_codes[CAN][8]  = "SK_";
   $county_names[CAN][9]  = "Alberta                   ";  $county_codes[CAN][9]  = "AB_";
   $county_names[CAN][10] = "Newfoundland and Labrador ";  $county_codes[CAN][10] = "NL_";
   $county_names[CAN][11] = "Northwest Territories     ";  $county_codes[CAN][11] = "NT_";
   $county_names[CAN][12] = "Yukon                    ";  $county_codes[CAN][12] = "YT_";
   $county_names[CAN][13] = "Nunavut                   ";  $county_codes[CAN][13] = "NU_";

But are they "standard" ?

regards,
Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline jila

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 31 March 15 08:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks Majm & Bob,

I appreciate the explanation about why no sub-boards for Canada, USA Australia etc

Makes sense that it could slow things down..I find Ancestry has a hard time keeping up with the heavy traffic load too. But they still manage to have message boards for just about every Country, Provinces, States etc..But I guess they have a different computor system?

I love Rootchat- people are so-o nice and quick to offer help -when you are stuck..:)

~~~~~~~~-----------------
The Ontario & Quebec records are the oldest in Canada and are great ! The Quebec records are in French though- but very good.. they go back about 500-600 yrs at least.  There are actually alot of European immigrants that went lived in & went through Quebec before going to the States. A lot of people forget about checking Canadian records, Immigration, Homestead records, Border crossings etc. The Maritimes and British Columbia records are good too.. The Prairie provinces are very young compared to the rest of Canada-Saskatchewan and Alberta established in 1905  for example.

I guess the Maritimes provinces records would be pretty old too- probably same age as Ontario and Quebec- I just havent used them as much.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitutional_history_of_Canada

I do like the code idea Bob :)

Thanks for the reply Bob :)

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 31 March 15 15:18 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

As moderator for the Canada board, I don't think sub boards for each Province is necessary.

In the Canada Resources sub board they are broken down to Provinces and Territories there for information that may help.

Canada is a big Country, each Province has it's own rules.

We have amazing researchers on this board and they will be quick to help you in whatever Province of Territory you are looking for.

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!