Author Topic: Change of name - how do I trace them?  (Read 931 times)

Offline Jan Ann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I Know,If I Get to the Core then Answers R There!
    • View Profile
Change of name - how do I trace them?
« on: Wednesday 06 July 05 20:57 BST (UK) »
Hi There

We have a family member that is deceased now, but we cant find any trace of him- he did manage to get himself imprisoned for non payment of child mainteneance (1940's) BUT THEN JUST DISAPPEARED!  We think he may have changed his name to avoid paying and prison once again!

Does anyone know where I would look for such information - that is - if he changed his name legally?

Cheers
Jan :-X
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

TIVEY, WILDE,
Alker, Barmore, Birchall, Bird, Bryan, Chant, Clare,  Crump, Dow, Edwards, Fairbrother, Faulkner, Frearson, Frogson, Glew, Halliday, Heathcote, Hesford, Holliday, Jones, Knight, Massey, Mather, McKenna, Mee, Melling, Neal, O'Brien, Ottewell, Pimblett, Pinks, Price, Quinn, Rampling, Richards, Richardson, Rowley, Royle, Shakespeare, Shaw, Sheldon, Tandy, Thompson, Wade, Walker,  & more!

Offline Nicky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Change of name - how do I trace them?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 July 05 20:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan

I had a similar predictament in finding my Grandfather, he too had changed his name. I eventually tracked him down through his date of birth under the deaths on ancestry. He died in the 1980's.

Hope this may help.

Nicky
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Sewell - Surrey<br />Lynch - Ireland, Devon and Channel Islands<br />Whall and Pye - Norwich, Essex and Kent<br />Cotterill - Warwickshire<br />Adams - North and East Riding of Yorkshire<br />Preest, Dufty Lewis, Aston - Forest of Dean

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Change of name - how do I trace them?
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 July 05 22:14 BST (UK) »
Hi There

We have a family member that is deceased now, but we cant find any trace of him- he did manage to get himself imprisoned for non payment of child mainteneance (1940's) BUT THEN JUST DISAPPEARED! We think he may have changed his name to avoid paying and prison once again!

Does anyone know where I would look for such information - that is - if he changed his name legally?

Cheers
Jan :-X

There is only one way to change ones name in the UK and that is by using a new name, deed poll etc. are simply ways to prove that a change of name has occurred.

Clues to change of name may be found in census, wills, baptism registers etc. etc.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.