Author Topic: Grocer's Shop, Kinson  (Read 7072 times)

Offline Linna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Grocer's Shop, Kinson
« on: Friday 03 April 15 08:39 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am researching my wider family and have come across twenty plus families and/or individuals who have, at one time or another, lived at the above address. I am guessing that it was more than a grocer's shop, probably a lodging house as well. I can't find any references to it on the internet and wondered if anyone had any more information. Is it still there? I'd love to know more. Can anyone shed any light on this place? Any info would be appreciated.
Dorset/Hampshire:
Newman, Fry, Hancock, Hoare and Budden

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Grocer's Shop, Kinson
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 April 15 10:19 BST (UK) »
Could you give further details ? Name of person living there /which census ?

If we can look at the records we may be able to find more information

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 April 15 10:42 BST (UK) »
I have found "Grocers Shop" (Village of East Howe) Kinson in 1871 - only 4 people living there - William Morton , wife harriet (she was the grocer), daughter Kate, Granddaughter Mary Ann

It is the only residence which is named as "Grocer's shop" other residences not given a "name" - could you have thought it was all one residence because of this ??

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England

Offline Linna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 April 15 16:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks to you both for the quick replies.
You've made me investigate further. A couple of issues have arisen which has made me think. It's taken me a while to get back to you as I've gone back over the images to sort things out. It's not been helped by the lack of speed of FindMyPast in bringing up images
1. Don't always believe the addresses on FindMyPast! On the 1871 census it appears that the transcriber may have thought that the grocer's shop was huge because all of the entries on the transcriptions after the actual entry for the Grocer's shop have been listed as "Grocer's Shop" until another address is listed. Having checked with the original images, most of my relatives no longer live in the grocer's shop.
2. I have blindly followed the transcription address instead of double checking with the image. Another Lesson learned!
3. My software also autocompletes addresses that are already in my program. I have been a bit lazy in not checking that it completes with the right address. 
Thanks for taking the time to help me out.
Linna
Dorset/Hampshire:

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 April 15 11:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks to you both for the quick replies.

2. I have blindly followed the transcription address instead of double checking with the image. Another Lesson learned!

Linna

We are supposed to transcribe from images - so transcriptions are our own

Are you certain your relatives lived at the grocer's shop at any time???

By the way the shop was in the village of East Howe

I have not found any delay in FindMyPast bringing up images

Suz

Offline Linna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 April 15 13:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Suz

I've checked all the images for the individuals. One family, the Whites,  lived there on the 1871 census and on the 1881 census the Harvey's lived at that address. (2094/107/83) I also have a Budden who lived at Grocer's Shop Newtown, Kinson on the 1881 census (2094/87/44)

I'll do all my own transcribing from now on.  :)

Thanks for your help.

Linna
Dorset/Hampshire:

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 04 April 15 20:03 BST (UK) »
I live in Wallisdown which is next door to Kinson Road and East Howe. I am puzzled by the reference to Newtown, which is some 2 miles south of me in Poole. In the late 19th century was that part of Kinson?
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Linna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 05 April 15 07:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Redroger

If you are able to check out the 1881 reference (2094/87/44) you will see why I mentioned Newtown. I don't really know the area but on the census the civil parish is Kinson, the first address is Newtown and the fifth family down lived at the Grocer's Shop - the Buddens. That's why I assumed that this grocer's shop was in Newtown.

I have a 2004 map of Poole and have checked it out. I see that Kinson is a long way from Newtown. In 1881 could Kinson have been larger and included Newtown?
Dorset/Hampshire:

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 05 April 15 17:32 BST (UK) »
Looking at the map in my copy of Phillimore's Atlas I see that the adjoining parish to Kinson is in fact Longfleet which in modern terms is almost as far south of Newtown as Wallisdown is North. The parish of Parkstone has a boundary with Kinson too, so I believe that though not marked on the map, which dates to around 1830 I think (no railways on it!!) it is very likely that Newtown was part of Kinson in 1881. Hopefully someone can confirm this, alternately it would be in Parkstone or Canford Magna.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)