Author Topic: 1920 will for Dunwich Asylum  (Read 4722 times)

Offline george165

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1920 will for Dunwich Asylum
« on: Sunday 05 April 15 02:09 BST (UK) »
Hi all
        I am after a will for a person who passed away in 1920 at Dunwich Queensland.  QSA only holds records for 1870-1917.
Thanking you
george165   

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1920 will for Dunwich Asylum
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 April 15 02:45 BST (UK) »
QSA only holds records for 1870-1917.
Thanking you
george165   

Why do you think that?  The guide to Will and Intestacy Records is here and tells you what they hold:

http://archives.qld.gov.au/Researchers/CollectionsDownloads/Documents/BG19Will.pdf

Some indexes are here, I would think that Dunwich is in the Southern District:

http://www.archives.qld.gov.au/Researchers/Indexes/Courts/Pages/Wills.aspx

The indexed entries for my family wills can all be found by doing a catalogue name search - have you tried that?

http://www.archivessearch.qld.gov.au/Search/BasicSearch.aspx

Debra  :)

Offline george165

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 April 15 03:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Debra
             Thank you for your reply.  Sorry I wrote the wrong info on Wills.  It should have been Index to Estate registers.  I have been into QSA for wills but the person I am after is not on the list.  I have a copy of his register of death and his funeral which was on the same day.  I also looked up some names on the funeral list about the same date but they were not on the will list.   If you need a name I will let you know.
Thanks
george165

Offline IrishOrigins

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 April 15 00:14 BST (UK) »
George, was this person an inmate at Dunwich Asylum or did he live in the township of Dunwich?

My great-grandfather died as an inmate but as he had no possessions or any form of "worldly goods", had nothing to leave, therefore no will.  This seems to have been more common than otherwise.
Byrnes, Wexford.
O'Brien, Hannigan, Waterford & Tipperary

Offline george165

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 April 15 00:53 BST (UK) »
Hi IrishOrigins
                      According to Electoral Rolls he was at Dunwich Asylum 1908-1919.  His wife was living at Southport Qld with 2 children one being my Grandmother at this time.  I bought a will for a person of the same name for 1921 but he died at Nundah Qld aged 27 yrs.  He died intestate.  This is why if he did not leave a will there should be some Court paperwork for his death.
Thanks
george165

Offline IrishOrigins

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 April 15 02:26 BST (UK) »
I must admit to being puzzled, because when my g-g-f died in the asylum there was no court paperwork that I'm aware of, just a normal death certificate issued.  He had a wife and 5 children (my grandfather was the youngest), who were living in western Queensland and he, too, died intestate.  Can I ask why you think there would be court papers involved in your man's case?

The Queensland Archives have a rather large collection on Dunwich Benevolent Asylum and there are also bits and pieces about some of the inmates.  I have a copy of g-g-f's admission papers (but not the reason for his being there) and the record of leave he took during his "stay".  These came from the archive.  I also have a copy of the page in the burials book (held by the cemetery) giving the date of burial and the number and location of his grave.

I had almost decided my research had given me all there was to learn about this period in my grand-father's life, but if you have uncovered a further avenue for investigation I'd be really pleased to hear about it.

Let's know what eventuates, won't you?  Please?   :D

Byrnes, Wexford.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 06 April 15 02:48 BST (UK) »
Hi IrishOrigins
               I bought a will for a person of the same name for 1921 but he died at Nundah Qld aged 27 yrs.  He died intestate.  This is why if he did not leave a will there should be some Court paperwork for his death.
Thanks
george165

I am muddled by what you are saying here.

Is this it?
The person for whom you  mistakenly got  documentation of some kind died intestate.

So what you acquired could not have been a will.

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Intestate
INTESTATE. One who, having lawful power to make a will, has made none, or one which is defective in form. In that case, he is said to die intestate, and his estate descends to his heir at law

What kind of court paperwork are you speaking of, please and why does it follow that such paperwork must exist in the event of intestacy?

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline IrishOrigins

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 06 April 15 03:20 BST (UK) »
Sue, I think George meant that the will he got was for the wrong person, and that the man he's interested in died intestate. 

It's the court papers reference that has me puzzled too.
Byrnes, Wexford.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 06 April 15 04:20 BST (UK) »
Sue, I think George meant that the will he got was for the wrong person, and that the man he's interested in died intestate. 

It's the court papers reference that has me puzzled too.

No, that is not what the original post says.

Anyhow,  Irish Origins will no doubt be back soon to clear things up. ;D

Sue   
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk