Author Topic: Early travellers - GARDINERS  (Read 1447 times)

Offline cathayb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Early travellers - GARDINERS
« on: Sunday 05 April 15 21:26 BST (UK) »
great great grandmother was born Sabina Worsley 5/4/1842 in Ewhurst Sussex (not to confused with Ewhurst Kent). She was daughter of James Worsley and Elizabeth Gardiner, (Gardener, Gardner) . Elizabeth was born 8/10/1818 Ewhurst and baptised 18/10/1818. She was daughter of Shadrach Gardiner who was baptised 9/7/1775 in Sedlescombe Sussex. Shadrach was an agricultural labourer and can be found on 1841 and 1851 censuses. He died in 1854. He married Maria Saxby in 1798 in Westfield Sussex. Shadrach was son of Daniel & Love Gardner. Daniel was baptised 10/7/1748 in Tenterden KENT. His father James was described as a traveller on the baptism. Daniel married Love Furnifer (could there be other spellings?) 6/3/1769 in Tenterden Kent. Daniel was buried in Sedlescombe in 1791 and Love was buried there in 1828. So here is the double dilemma – I can find no other reference to James Gardner (Daniel’s father) and where did Love appear from? I can find no trace of her before her marriage. Thank you for looking.....
birchs taylors penfold orchard hughes all romany gypsies in the west country

Offline snowyw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: EARLY TRAVELLERS GARDINERS
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 April 15 22:20 BST (UK) »
Cathay is helping me with this. This links to my thread of 2012. http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=584770.0
I'm not young enough to know everything.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lemmey

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Early travellers - GARDINERS
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 September 15 17:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Cathay. Just noticed your message to me on Snowy's thread. Sorry I've been away from RootsChat for a while and lost my log in during the house move, computer change etc. Just found it and now I'm back! Still interested to see if my Gardners have a connection to Snowyw's but haven't done any new research for a good while!
Croydon, Surrey - KENT, SKILTON, BESLEY, HIGGS
Surrey & Kent - GARDNER, GARDENER, GARDINER, DALLAWAY, STRUDWICK, LANE, PENFOLD (Roma/Traveller)
London - COOKE
Shropshire/Denbighshire/Montgomershire  - FRANCIS, LLOYD
Staffordshire - TOOTH, DEVALL