Author Topic: Alnwick...parents/siblings for Jane Murray b1819 (marriage Hexham)  (Read 6238 times)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Alnwick...parents/siblings for Jane Murray b1819 (marriage Hexham)
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 07 May 15 13:52 BST (UK) »
I had a quick look at Family Search handwritten church records for Ovingham and the 1840 year for marriages is missing -

Do mean the Bishops Transcripts? If so you will find very few marriages on there after 1837, which is when Civil Registration began. Post-1837 the Durham BT's mainly only contain Baptisms and Burials.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 07 May 15 14:04 BST (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01f9n/

Is that the record you have seen? The date shown is the date the child was baptised, not his birth date. Its not unheard of for a couple to marry then have their first child baptised while they already at the church :-)

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01f9o/

That is his burial record, 16 Sept 1840 aged 7 months, so likely to have been born in Feb 1840, just before they married.

The images you see are Bishops Transcripts, not the original registers but copies sent to the Diocese by the parish each year. As JenB says, after civil registration began the marriage register copy would have been sent to the Registrar so the BTs rarely include marriages after 1837.

Boo

Offline cathped

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 07 May 15 14:34 BST (UK) »
I love this site for you clever people!  ;D ;D

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 07 May 15 22:40 BST (UK) »
:-) I am constantly amazed at the wealth and depth of knowledge that is shared in these boards, but personally I can't claim to be clever.

I have been nosey/savvy enough to spend a lot of time reading the posts and answers in here and elsewhere on the web and have learned an awful lot from others.

I recommend anyone to have a good read though the posts and replies, its amazing what info you can pick up.

Boo