Author Topic: Alnwick...parents/siblings for Jane Murray b1819 (marriage Hexham)  (Read 6247 times)

Offline cathped

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alnwick...parents/siblings for Jane Murray b1819 (marriage Hexham)
« on: Sunday 05 April 15 21:42 BST (UK) »
Having had some great help with other requests on Rootschat :) ……… I’m trying to find the parents/ siblings of my 3x GGM Jane Murray b abt 1819 possibly Alnwick. I have lots of census data, and her marriage via Ancestry to John Tilley, see attached doc and footnote query. Regards, C

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Alnwick...parents/siblings for Jane Murray b1819 (marriage Hexham)
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 April 15 23:27 BST (UK) »
Marriage was 1840 - what was her fathers name and occupation on her marriage cert
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 April 15 08:55 BST (UK) »
On the document you've attached to your posting you say '
I have lots of census data, and her marriage via Ancestry to John Tilley,
but the only marriage detail I can see on your document is the details from the GRO index, which, as you know, only provides the names of the parties and the GRO index number. This shows the marriage was in Hexham Registration District.

You go on to say
It’s not on Family Search for the year so is anyone able to view this actual record please?

Hexham was a very large Registration District (see the link below) so unless you can give the name of the church where they married it won't be possible to do a look up - you will need to get the marriage certificate which will give her father's name.
http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/districts/hexham.html
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 April 15 10:21 BST (UK) »
Glad you lot could open that rtf, I just get gobblygook.

Offline cathped

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 April 15 15:27 BST (UK) »
I had no idea Hexham districts would be so large! I suppose as the wedding was after 1837 I can get a marriage cert. Thanks anyway folks :)

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 May 15 01:04 BST (UK) »
Don't know if you now have the marriage cert, but I found the following in the Newcastle  Courant 13 March 1840

7th inst at Ovingham [....]

Same day and place, Mr John Tilley to Miss Jane Murrow both of Ruchester

The same announcement was in the Newcastle Journal 14 Mar 1840 - though that one said 'both of Rochester' maybe the Journal was better at spelling:-)

Ovingham is in Hexham Registration District and as far as I can tell there was only one marriage in Hexham District for a John Tilley in Q1 1840 so it looks likely to be the same one.

If you don't yet have the marriage cert, now that there is a likely date of 7th March 1840, perhaps ask if anyone can do a look up in the Ovingham Registers at Woodhorn? Presuming they married in church that is.
If its there, ordering a copy of the register entry from Woodhorn would be a lot cheaper than a GRO cert.

Boo

Offline cathped

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 07 May 15 10:43 BST (UK) »
Hi, that mail was a lovely surprise today! Thank you so much. I didn't get round to the certificate as got side-tracked with a different branch of my tree - as you do! I don't know of Woodhorn so will get looking into it all. Thank you again  ;D

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 07 May 15 11:42 BST (UK) »
Woodhorn is where the Northumberland Archives are based.
http://www.experiencewoodhorn.com/collections/ They hold registers and microfilm of registers for the county.
A few Rootschatters visit regularly and will often find the time to look up an entry if requested. That would tell you the details of the marriage (the good stuff like father's names and occupations plus witnesses etc as well as the barebones details)

Armed with that info, its possible to order photocopies of the microfilm entry or scanned images from the register. For marriages you are getting the image of the original register that was signed (not not, depending on the couple's literacy skills) on the day they were wed.  Its usually around £1 plus postage for a photocopy from microfilm and £4.50 for a scanned image. Cheaper (and much more authentic in my opinion) than a civil cert at £9.25 a pop from the GRO, though a bit more involved as you need to complete a copyright declaration with your order.

If you can visit in person, you can look at the microfilms yourself and do a self service photocopy I believe, even cheaper :-)

Depending on the record, who wrote it, how good their handwriting was, if the person its about could read and write and therefore could be consulted about spelling, there may be lots of spelling variations/ interpretations for Murray, Murrow, Murrah, Morrow etc etc etc

Good luck with it.

Boo

Offline cathped

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 07 May 15 13:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Boo, very informative. I had a quick look at Family Search handwritten church records for Ovingham and the 1840 year for marriages is missing - it goes on to the 1860s, but there is a birth there of a Thomas Tilley born March 7 1840 Rudchester to a John and Jane, sadly followed by a death record for him age 7 months. If it this couple, they have a child in 1849 called Thomas, but I've seen it often where they name a new child after a deceased one so it's possible. But the date is the same day as their wedding which would be odd. I will put a lookup on later today; I have my 3 yr old granddaughter at the mo so little time. Exciting! Thank you