Author Topic: PAF  (Read 2015 times)

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
PAF
« on: Monday 06 April 15 10:25 BST (UK) »
For ever I have used this system and have been happy with it.

I found a couple of years ago that I seemed to have two or three of each family as a different RIN number but the same family.

Now today I look - as I was checking the search to find an individual and it seems I have at least 4 of each all with different RINS ... why the heck is this happening  and how on earth do I sort it.

I am concerned that it is updating - over previous updates for some reason, so that I am not sure, which line to keep and which to delete.. Or BASICALLY just to start a totally new PAF file and add the latest information to this one and delete all previous information, this will take forever ----- but not sure what else to do.

xin

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: PAF
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 April 15 12:30 BST (UK) »
I'm assuming you mean Personal Ancestry File from Family Search - which they ceased to support in July 2013?  Recommendations from FS are shown, if you ask Mr Google - PAF.  :)
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
Re: PAF
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 July 16 12:44 BST (UK) »
Would you believe it!!!  My PAF (I know its not supported etc etc etc !!!!)  decided to fix itself..

the list I had of four of everyone is now singular ... :)  don't ask how -- its a fluke of the technological world  -

AND  - so I am not shouted at... I am only STILL using PAF for my own personal sake cos I am used to it... and can cope with it!!   When I have time or maybe if given time I will consider updating to something that is clevererer :) --

But just for now I am so 'astounded' that whilst working on some rellies yesterday, I checked the individual list and bobs your uncle -- one of each..
So I checked previously saved PAF files (which are on a.n.other laptop.. or external hard drive) all with a different name... and they all been fixed. 

So this little man sitting in my Laptop  has sorted the problem bless him... :)

Crazy (not me -- well maybe a little) 

xin